Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

msx110 motor trouble

Hello! I am new to the board. I just aquired a 2004 msx110. I am a first time owner of a ski. I"m pretty mechanically inclined. I bought the ski and the owner told me it has a low cylinder. I took it home and did a compression check, got 140 for the front and 20psi on the rear cylinder. I tried to take the head off but everything is so tight on these, its like putting socks on a rooster. So i just took the whole motor out and wanted to check everything out. Anyways got the head off and found a copper peice stuck on one of the intake valves. Now i suspect that was the culprit. I looked over the pistons and cylinder walls and they looked good. When i was taking the intake stuff off there is that roundish looking barrel that the throttle body bolts to, well i saw some copper peices laying on the bottom, the same material that was stuck in my intake valve. Question: where would this peice have introduced from? I am new to this 4 stroke jetski efi"s. Anyone with suggestions or comments about this and what i should do or check please chime in. Much appreciated! Thanks!

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!!

There are a couple of members with the Weber engines that can probably point you in the right direction.
    I'm also sure Jay or Chip can help you out, they should be around sometime tomorrow, hang loose.

In the mean time, you may wanta ask the former owner if he's ever counted his pocket change over the air box!

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    How about some pics too?

+1

Cool

only thing I can thing of is intercooler falling apart

later cd

+1
    What do the valves look like. This is an overhead valve machine. I doubt it would be pieces from the intercooler. It could be the turbo vanes. Where was the ski ran, fresh or salt water. Maybe intercooler, but doubt it. Still your bigs problem is compression. Fellow 110 owner. Post pictures.
    Last edited by f150vtx; 05-24-2007 at 03:35 PM.

+1

Cool

there ya go,what the heck do I know!
    only thing between turbo and intake is intercooler,made out out brass tubes(at least 150 use tubes)

later cd

sorry i cant post any pics i dont have the right camera. I was thinking the intercooler myself i guess its the only logical explanation where this material would be introduced from. The valve itself looks ok but i"m gonna replace it anyways with a new valve seal. When i took the head off i had to brake a link in the camchain then the chain fell to the bottom of the crankcase. Can you get a new link for the camchain? Thanks for your help guys!

+1
    Your right, my bad. That is the only place you would get copper pieces. Have you ran any water in the cooling loop. If the intercooler is where the pieces came from then you probably have a bad intercooler. If it is leaking you my have just bent the valves, but check the seating of the new ones. After posting I checked my ski to find that the intercooler was loose and moving around. Front two intercooler holder bolts seperated from the rubber. Gorrila glue it. Sorry about the bad info earlier. Make sure the intercooler holds water and doesn't leak.

I thought I heard jay say he had one like this, and stated it was some flashing that was from in the intercooler that had shook loose finally. Reason being not the intercooler coming apart was that if it was that baby would be spewing lake water down into the motor being those were water cooling rods inside the intercooler with lake water. I recall that all he had to do was lap the valve seats and it was fine. Gaskets and time pretty cheap repair.

Sweet buy if that was all that was wrong with the unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information