Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Settling your own claim.

I am using this calculator to be able to settle two claims that we got on a DWI case
    http://www.autoaccidentclaims.com/calculate.asp

+1
    I tried to setlle a claim with an insurance company for an accident my wife was injured in. We asked for $2100 very fair no pumped up costs. they rejected it absolutely refused to discuss it. We got an attorney filed against them and ended up with 49K after the attorney was paid. That claim adjuster who would not deal with us should be shot. We settled in arbitration the attorney kept pushing for court saying he could get even more. He also told me that the insurance companies automaticaly reject claims regardles of merit. I hope this helps it surely paid off for us even though I do not agree with the whole system and what we went through I think it is a shame it had to come to this.

+1
    Same thing happened to my sister.... guy ran a stop sign, hit her while she was on her bicycle. Destroyed the Cannondale, she tried to tough it out and said she wan't hurt, but the next day the pain in her arm made her go to the ER; turns out it was broken.

Now the guy admitted at the scene he ran the stop sign, witnesses confirmed it, and the cops wrote it up right. She didn't want anything for being injured, all she asked the guys insurance for was the cost for a new bike. The insurance adjustor gave her a line about how she didn't go to the ER the day of the wreck, how did he know it happened at the scene? When she pointed out to him that she had health insurance, she wasn't asking for any damages to her person, and all she wanted was her bike replaced, she gave her a snotty answer about no bike being worth $600 and to go pick one out at Wal Mart. Time for a trip to a lawyer, I told her.

At the end of it, she had the medical bills paid, her new Cannodale bike, and enough money to get a new Corolla too, after the lawyer took his cut. And the insurance company could have settled it for $600 in the first place. What a bunch of putzes.

See, it's the insurance companies' guys doing stuff like that to hike up OUR rates to compensate.

Well I just finished reading a document "Package" that I purchase online to assist me settling this claims and the author expains that most adjustors give you a fare settlement, but because of husslers and people trying to take advantage they have to push around low figures. I had the adjustor offer me 4x the amount of the medical bills for one of my kids which is an excellent (Premium) offer, We only claimed a medical bills and a couple hundred dollars on lost income. We did not get a rental car during the month that we were having the vehicle repaired, I think she took that in consideration. SO FAR SO GOOD.

Next I have to claim the diminish value on a 2006 Nissan Altima with 8K miles that got about 5k worth or damage.

+1
    You will ALWAYS get a better offer if you have a lawyer. However, it is sometimes worth it to take a lower offer when factoring in attorney's fees and expenses. Also, if the person at fault has a minimum limits policy, many times you can get the entire policy limit without hiring an attorney. As a lawyer, I am biased, but for most people, hiring an attorney more than pays for itself.

I agree, I am trying to settle this one on my own and see how far I can take it. I work for over 100 attorneys, so hiring one still not out of the question. So Franko what is your cut if I hire you

Fercho

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    You will ALWAYS get a better offer if you have a lawyer. However, it is sometimes worth it to take a lower offer when factoring in attorney's fees and expenses. Also, if the person at fault has a minimum limits policy, many times you can get the entire policy limit without hiring an attorney. As a lawyer, I am biased, but for most people, hiring an attorney more than pays for itself.

+1
    Fercho, I think you are competent to do it on your own. But for the vast majority of people, they leave money on the table. Sounds like you are doing just fine. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm - no charge for bald Columbians during the month of May

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fercho View Post
    I work for over 100 attorneys, so hiring one still not out of the question.
    Fercho
    You know what I want to say...

Fercho likes to work for D___ !

Hello my "brudder", I hope everyone is ok...call me ...when you get a chance......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information