Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sportster 155 or 215

I have been looking at the seadoo sportster. would like to know what top end the 155 hp will have stock compared to the 215. it will most of the time be just me and my wife in the boat since the kids are grown. I like the 215hp but don't know about the supercharger since i have been reading about the washers breaking. also is the 155 and the 215 the same engine except for the supercharger.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneone25 View Post
    I have been looking at the seadoo sportster. would like to know what top end the 155 hp will have stock compared to the 215. it will most of the time be just me and my wife in the boat since the kids are grown. I like the 215hp but don't know about the supercharger since i have been reading about the washers breaking. also is the 155 and the 215 the same engine except for the supercharger.

Welcome to the boards!

2 different engines....I would opt for the 215, its easy to replace the clutches...then you have a good ride....

155hp = 48 mph

215hp= 55mph (average speeds reported by owners using gps)

All things being equal the scic is the way to go, but things aren't equal, fuel and insurance costs will be higher, that may or may not be a factor for you. The ceramic washers in the s/c should be changed before even using the boat, going by some recent reports of failures now showing up in the boats where it used to be pretty much confined to the ski's.

For me the decision was easy; I wanted reliability over speed, and refuse to repair something on a new boat that should not fail to begin with.

does anyone know how much it would cost to have the washers replaced?
    fuel and insurance cost wouldn't be much of an issue. I like the look of the black sportster. i just hate to buy something and then have to have it worked on. seems like it would be a recall item.

$140-http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21550

Also, not exactly the same engine. Cast vs. forged pistons. The cast piston engine can't be modded too far.

215hp... if you have a warranty the small stuff isnt an issue..

These boats are rockets in the water..

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I have the 155HP 2006 Sportster and I love it! Plenty fast for me and the wife. My top speed was 47 MPH. If you were gonna have 3-4 riders all the time I would say go with the SCIC but if not this is the best boat for 2 people. This boat is amazing on gas. My boat insurance for the 155HP is $400.00/year for the highest coverage. And this thing is a sinch to maintain. I do all the maintenece myself and 47 MPH in this little boat might not seem fast but believe me it flys.....Have a great summer

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    I have the 155HP 2006 Sportster and I love it! Plenty fast for me and the wife. My top speed was 47 MPH. If you were gonna have 3-4 riders all the time I would say go with the SCIC but if not this is the best boat for 2 people. This boat is amazing on gas. My boat insurance for the 155HP is $400.00/year for the highest coverage. And this thing is a sinch to maintain. I do all the maintenece myself and 47 MPH in this little boat might not seem fast but believe me it flys.....Have a great summer
    Im only paying $418 a year(full coverage plus i get actuall purchase price if totalled) and im not married!

I got a discount because i took an online boaters safety coarse that only took me half an hour..

Quote Originally Posted by welterracer View Post
    Im only paying $418 a year(full coverage plus i get actuall purchase price if totalled)

Boat insurance is fairly cheap. I have the same coverage as you for an S200 430hp for $460 a year. I searched around and Progressive was the best by far in my case.

Depends on what one would consider "full" coverage, some of those figures sound a bit low for the maximum coverage available through Progressive. If you're a homeowner and someone is seriously injured while on your boat or involved in a collision with your boat, having at least 100/300/100 BI & PD could possibly save your ass. The more assets you have the higher the limits you should select.

I find there is a difference of $184 between the lowest "full" coverage (10k/20k/10k, no uninsured boaters and no medical payments) or the highest "full" coverage (500k csl bi/pd, 500k csl uninsured boaters and 10k medical payments) when comparing the different bi,pd and ub coverages on my policy.

If I select the bare minimum coverages, with $1000 deductibles and no replacement cost value, no towing and no personal effects I could pay $244/ yr. If I choose the maximum in each category the cost is $821. Both offer "full" coverage, but the former is woefully inadequate.

Just a heads up, make sure you know what you're buying and what you're covered for. I would however highly recommend Progressive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information