Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Calling GPR guru's

My friend has a 2000 gp1200r with a sbt motor free flow, d plate, and chip and Also has the oil block off and runs premix with not many hours on the motor around 20. When they were riding it last year they would go wot and then the ski fell on its face but they said the motor was still reving high and they dont know whats wrong with it they said it happend twice and would olny fall on its face when they were wot or almost wot. After it happend twice they stopped riding it. Im posting this for them and hoping to find a solution. Im sure there is a lot more details that are needed and i will add them as they are asked. Any Help with be HIGHLEY appreaciated thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    My friend has a 2000 gp1200r with a sbt motor free flow, d plate, and chip and Also has the oil block off and runs premix with not many hours on the motor around 20. When they were riding it last year they would go wot and then the ski fell on its face but they said the motor was still reving high and they dont know whats wrong with it they said it happend twice and would olny fall on its face when they were wot or almost wot. After it happend twice they stopped riding it. Im posting this for them and hoping to find a solution. Im sure there is a lot more details that are needed and i will add them as they are asked. Any Help with be HIGHLEY appreaciated thank you.
    Sounds like a fuel related problem.If they didnt go thru the carbs when they changed out the engine,they should have.That could have been what ate the original engine.The second and highly suspected problem would be the SBT shortblock.Thier reputation preceeds them.If a carb has any obstruction decreasing fuel flow it will cause a lean siezure on that cylinder.The siezures usually happen @WOT and this is what it sounds like is happening.When a engine bites it you have to find out why to eliminate the problem or it will continue over and over.They should check the plugs for metal on the electrodes.If thier lucky and theres none they should go thru the carbs.If the problem continues,they should look for an air leak on a base gasket or carb.I'm not a guru,I've just seen this situation,and your highly welcome if I've helped.
    Last edited by H204YOU; 05-24-2007 at 12:51 PM.

+1

Fuel Flapper Door Pick up Pickup Screen

I think i know what the problem is.Its your fuel flapper on the end of the fuel pickup tube.They warp over time and will not allow the proper amount of fuel to supply the motor when its at WOT.This is i would try first.Remove the flapper door of the bottom of the fuel pickup.When removing,push down on the tank and pull the fuel tube up towards the right rear corner of the steering pitman arm.Pushing on the tank gives you that extra 1/4 of clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 980.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	25862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 981.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	25863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 982.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	25864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 984.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	25865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 986.jpg 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	25866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 987.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	25867  

Thanks for the help so far guys i will throw these ideas at them and see what they think. If anyone else has any suggestions we are open for ideas, thanks again.

I was going to respond earlier saying fuel or carb problems but if the engine RPMs rev up high like you say when the throttle is hit, that wouldnt be it.

Is there any noticable prop damage? When you say it falls on its face, does the ski rev up quickly but simply not get faster like a blown hub on a boat or a bad clutch on a car? Or does it rev up and then bog the engine and feel like its going to die like its starving for fuel or getting to much fuel? To much fuel will have a lower pitch "bwwa" sound to it and to little will have a higher "ting" to it (for lack of a better description). Checking the plugs will be a good indicator.
    http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html
    Last edited by porksword; 05-25-2007 at 01:31 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    I think i know what the problem is.Its your fuel flapper on the end of the fuel pickup tube.They warp over time and will not allow the proper amount of fuel to supply the motor when its at WOT.This is i would try first.Remove the flapper door of the bottom of the fuel pickup.When removing,push down on the tank and pull the fuel tube up towards the right rear corner of the steering pitman arm.Pushing on the tank gives you that extra 1/4 of clearance.

while your at it extend the fuel pickups.
    like woody says, this might be it. happened to me. same exact problem on my 1200r years ago

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post

If the motor is still reving when the ski falls on its face like you described most likly the splines have failed on the midshaft or driveshaft both. This has happened to me before. The boat will still propel itself at lower speeds but when power is applied thek would break lose.

That is exactly what i was thinking. Since the ski still revs real high like they said it does i was thinking it has to be something driveline related. The pump has never been pulled on it but it looks like its going to have to be right? What do you guys think we should approach first, the pump and drive line or carbs and fuel tank? Thanks again.

If the engine RPMs are going up like they are supposed to then it should not be an engine related problem such as air/fuel/spark. The problem is getting the power to the water. So driveline is where I would look first. Make sure your friend is positive the engine revs up like it should when throttle is applied though so your not waisting your time.

+1
    Just pull the pump. You can inspect the driveshaft splines, and with a little luck and a lot of light, you can inspect the intermeddiate splines.

Pull the plastic cover off the back of the engine, and you can inspect the rubber coupler. Don't forget to put it back on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information