Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi New here

Hi New here

Hi there I am very new here and new to PWC but not to mechanics in general or even 2 strokes. To make it worse I bought a SL650 with a blown motor and then because they said they are interchangeable bought a SL750 motor to put in it. It is supposed to be complete carbs and exhast manifold etc. Are there any things I should worry about with this swap? Is there anything anyone can tell me to help me before I start? I will have many more questions about performance stuff in the future but for now I just want to get it running. I was wondering why so few PWC's now dont seem to have power trim. I drove my friends Sea Doo Xp limited and it seemed to make a big difference. How come mine doesnt have it and many new ones dont?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    Hi there I am very new here and new to PWC but not to mechanics in general or even 2 strokes. To make it worse I bought a SL650 with a blown motor and then because they said they are interchangeable bought a SL750 motor to put in it. It is supposed to be complete carbs and exhast manifold etc. Are there any things I should worry about with this swap?
    It's important to know the year of the 650, some older ones have different water routing. What year is the engine? You have several routes to take on the install with exhaust, carbs, CDi etc. so the years will help everybody out.
    Is there anything anyone can tell me to help me before I start? I will have many more questions about performance stuff in the future but for now I just want to get it running. I was wondering why so few PWC's now dont seem to have power trim. I drove my friends Sea Doo Xp limited and it seemed to make a big difference. How come mine doesnt have it and many new ones dont?
    Most of the Polaris 2 seaters have trim. It's an easy upgrade as well.

Oh and WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. The 650 didn't come with trim or a digital display, but the 750's did.

Yah my 650 has nothing on it for gauges or trim. I will do a search for the upgrade. Is it worth it? It seemed to make a big difference on the ones I drove when you trimmed them out. I will check on years of motors etc and thanks you guys for all of your help.

+1
    If it were mine I wouldn't worry about an MFD.
    The overheat warning buzzer should be enough unless you just wan the extra info at your finger tips.
    You can also install separate gauges, maybe modify the plate in front of your seat for gauges??
    The trim is WELL worth the effort and the kit comes with a gauge to view trim settings.

This is what I did for my SL.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1470.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	625.2 KB 
ID:	26175

Thanks guys that plate looks awesome. I might do something like that. Well I spent some time on the project this weekend and of course have more questions than before.

1. My VIN ends in D292 so I think my boats a 92 does that seem correct?

2. I found my control box (the one with the CDI and coils etc) full of water so I drained and cleaned and left it open for a while to dry out completely. There was no power to it while it was wet but what are the chances that its OK?

3. On the bottom of the 650 motor there is a hose from one place on the block to another. It doesnt seem to go anywhere but back into the motor. The 750 does not have this. Will it be OK to leave out?

4. The 750 has a bit different cooler (the part on top of the motor with the temp sensor in it) It justs points a different way and has a different sensor in it. Will it hurt to use the 650 one on the 750?

5. If mine is a 92, what is this dry exhaust, what does it look like and would I want to use it somehow?

I did have the same basic wires (had to change 2 ends) with the same basic colors so the motor should wire up the same. Also the plate and shaft ends look the same. I am new tho these so is there anything else I should check? Are there any other fluids like gear box or jet pump fluids I should check before trying to start? If there are what fluid goes in them and where are they. I noticed a plug on the right side of my jet drive that looked like there shoudl be something in there. I just dont want to do something ddumb and make alot more work for myself. Right now I am in the process of cleaning the inside of the hull before I put anything back in. I will take some pics of the project it will take my mind of the fact I have no idea what I am doing LOL
    Last edited by race24x; 05-29-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More damn questions

Hey I thought I would share some of my other toys as well and me and some friends goofing off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shaunna and Dad Busa2.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	26264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	700 Sportsman.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	26265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88_Z71_step_2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	26267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88_Z71_finished1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	26268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GaryandRonBigJump.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	26269  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks guys that plate looks awesome. I might do something like that. Well I spent some time on the project this weekend and of course have more questions than before.

2. I found my control box (the one with the CDI and coils etc) full of water so I drained and cleaned and left it open for a while to dry out completely. There was no power to it while it was wet but what are the chances that its OK?

3. On the bottom of the 650 motor there is a hose from one place on the block to another. It doesnt seem to go anywhere but back into the motor. The 750 does not have this. Will it be OK to leave out?

4. The 750 has a bit different cooler (the part on top of the motor with the temp sensor in it) It justs points a different way and has a different sensor in it. Will it hurt to use the 650 one on the 750?

5. If mine is a 92, what is this dry exhaust, what does it look like and would I want to use it somehow?

I did have the same basic wires (had to change 2 ends) with the same basic colors so the motor should wire up the same. Also the plate and shaft ends look the same. I am new tho these so is there anything else I should check? Are there any other fluids like gear box or jet pump fluids I should check before trying to start? If there are what fluid goes in them and where are they. I noticed a plug on the right side of my jet drive that looked like there shoudl be something in there. I just dont want to do something ddumb and make alot more work for myself. Right now I am in the process of cleaning the inside of the hull before I put anything back in. I will take some pics of the project it will take my mind of the fact I have no idea what I am doing LOL
    1. yes it's a 92 2. Might be OK, but keep a spare close by just in case it's rusted up. 3. What size hose, 3/4" ID coolant? Or a smal 1/4" ID maybe pulse line or oil injection? (get a pic please) 4. Unsure, pic please? 5. If it's a 92, it is a dry exhaust. It means it doesn't cool the exhaust gas as much as the wet pipe, which gives better top end, but suffers on the bottom end. (acceleration) It could work to your advantage if you change a few things. Otherwise don't worry about it. It will not hurt your engine one way or another. Do yourself a favor and get a newer jet pump froma 94 or newer. It will bolt right up and give you alot better performance over the 92 or 93.

+1

Indeed.

I would remove the board and dry the underside of it, tons of problems founs with rusted rivets or water droplets shorting connectors.

I'd keep the cooling of the 750 versus the 650, we have diagrams in the tech section, if you don't find it let us know and we'll hunt you doen a water routing.

The cooling bar is what I think you're talking about. The temp sensor from the 650 might be different from that of the 750 and you know the 650 is calibrated for the temp sensor. I think I'd test tboth switches and see when they trip the buzzer. I'm thinking I'd use the 650 sensor??

Certainly said to be a better pipe.

My guess is the bilge drain plug, a picture would be great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information