Newbie needs advice on dead cylinder

Was having problems with the ski last weekend while riding. I did a compression check. #2 cylinder has 0 compression and the plug had no gap on it. Other 2 cylinders are reading fine with 115-120. The ski is a '02 GP1200R with 115hrs on it. Any suggestions on what to do?? Should I completely rebuild the whole motor? Just fix the one piston? Go with stock parts or performance parts? TIA

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    Just replace the cylinder and piston. check for loose parts. what happened? Mine did the same, mine was a cold seizer, It sucked.
    But I learned to let it warm up. never rod on cold motor.

mine did that last year...

i bet your oil line probably slipped off the carb and caused your #2 to break apart..you should take off the oil pump and switch to premix. while your fixin the jug..

I will be switching to premix after this. Not sure what exactly caused this but it looks like i'm going to rebuild the motor! Here is the damage, what should be done to go from here??

Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post
    Just replace the cylinder and piston. check for loose parts. what happened? Mine did the same, mine was a cold seizer, It sucked.
    But I learned to let it warm up. never rod on cold motor.
    I was riding the ski last weekend, jumping some wakes, doing normal stuff, and the ski just shut off!! Like it lost power it seemed. Tried to start it and nothing happened. It was like the battery was dead. I pulled the seat, checked the terminals and everything was intact. Put the seat back on, tried to start it again, and still nothing. I sat and waited a few mins. Tried it again, and this time it was trying to start. Kept trying, and it turned over!! It started running/riding fine, and then it just died again. Started doing the same exact thing. Wouldn't start and then finally it would turn over and ran fine, then it died again. Finally turned over again, and this time I just feathered the throttle so I could get it back to shore. Then I could hold it full throttle and its like it had no power!!! I was doing maybe 20-25 and it didn't sound very good either!!! The tone from the exhaust did not sound like it normally does!

+1
    When your head is beat up like that, it's from the piston beating itself against it... and that means your crank is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    When your head is beat up like that, it's from the piston beating itself against it... and that means your crank is gone.

not really, it could be chunks of the piston getting in between the head and the top of the piston......same happened to mine and my crank was fine.

Thread Information