Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!

67+ mph 96 XP setup

I received a PM from a fellow dooer wanting to know my setup. It's no secret, many here have known if for years. But duplicating it...is what makes them scratch their heads...

So here it is...a combination of many's parts.

GK Sleeper kit with rec porting on the cylinders
    PPG milled stock head .050" squish @ 185 lbs compression
    Novi 42 modded stock carbs
    Rossier Pipe
    MSD 4255 Enhancer and Water Injection
    Fly Flame Arrestors
    PPG purchased one-off polished small hub 6 vane 140mm Skat Pump with a custom (machined-to-fit) Solas XO
    R&D 85/88 nozzles
    Pump wedge
    No grate
    Jetworks flow valve on the exhaust stinger
    Pistons are once-over OEM

Stuff I've done to enhance performance:

Hand ported and polished the whole inside the pipe, exhaust ports on the cylinders, and exhaust manifold
    Hand taper-ported the stock intake to match the bore of the 42's, leaving the RV side stock. I plugged the oil injection holes with aluminum dowels.
    Built engine to GK's specs on cylinder spacing. This makes for almost perfect squish on each side of the domes. All gaskets trimmed for no overhang (especially the base gasket).
    Reverse cooling on the engine-prevents max rpm loss when the engine gets heat saturated. I lose no more than 20 rpms from the first wot cold pass.
    Shimmed the rear of the stock trim-tabs to allow full trim-up riding wot with no porpoising
    Trued the hull

Other mods not speed enhancing:
    Worx Sponsons
    Hot-Tach EGT
    UMI Bars
    JetTrim Seat cover
    Jet Traction Mats

The ski runs 7550 @ 67 on glass. Killer holeshot too. This is unheard of by Rick @ Rossier...he he! He says his pipe won't rev that high...he can't duplicate my setup either...

Questions?
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 05-24-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I received a PM from a fellow dooer wanting to know my setup. It's no secret, many here have known if for years. But duplicating it...is what makes them scratch their heads...

Rossier Pipe
    Fly Flame Arrestors
    PPG purchased one-off polished small hub 6 vane 140mm Skat Pump with a custom (machined-to-fit) Solas XO
    R&D 85/88 nozzles
    Pump wedge
    No grate

Hand ported and polished the whole inside the pipe, exhaust ports on the cylinders, and exhaust manifold
    Hand taper-ported the stock intake to match the bore of the 42's, leaving the RV side stock. I plugged the oil injection holes with aluminum dowels.
    Built engine to GK's specs on cylinder spacing. This makes for almost perfect squish on each side of the domes. All gaskets trimmed for no overhang (especially the base gasket).
    Reverse cooling on the engine-prevents max rpm loss when the engine gets heat saturated. I lose no more than 20 rpms from the first wot cold pass.
    Shimmed the rear of the stock trim-tabs to allow full trim-up riding wot with no porpoising
    Trued the hull

Worx Sponsons
    Hot-Tach EGT
    UMI Bars
    JetTrim Seat cover
    Jet Traction Mats

The ski runs 7550 @ 67 on glass. Killer holeshot too. This is unheard of by Rick @ Rossier...he he! He says his pipe won't rev that high...he can't duplicate my setup either...

Questions?
    Amazing speed for what you have. Race or pump gas?

+1

Rossier Pipe
    Fly Flame Arrestors
    R&D 85/88 nozzles
    Pump wedge
    No grate

Trued the hull

Worx Sponsons
    Hot-Tach EGT
    UMI Bars
    JetTrim Seat cover
    Jet Traction Mats

Questions?
    Now tell them you read all my notes & copied my setup!
    Nice speed! I get 7550 - 7600 rpm all day but only @ 60 mph.
    Thats with an rfi pump though. My R's would be lower on a standard pump right?. No port work anywhere though. RQ, you think my .50 miller rec1 ported jugs would add R's & MPH to my setup? They're on the shelf.
    All the 2 smoke tuner groups are in the mid west & east coast.

It's hard to say on an RFI pump, as I've never tried one. BT has, and likes his. But I think the RFI pumps hookup better but are slower top end. A stock bronze stator pump with smoothed veins should perform close to my Skat Pump as we have the same stock wear rings.

For sure the Miller jugs will perform better over stock. Squish, cylinder placement, and attention to detail on the gaskets make for big gains.

+1
    I get 7250 R's at 64mph. Sock porting 1075egts.

I hate the stock carbs with the bog a high speed turns.
    Any suggestions?

I would love to do away with that one issue.

.I don't have reverse cooling either.

+1
    It's hard to say on an RFI pump, as I've never tried one. BT has, and likes his. But I think the RFI pumps hookup better but are slower top end. A stock bronze stator pump with smoothed veins should perform close to my Skat Pump as we have the same stock wear rings.

For sure the Miller jugs will perform better over stock. Squish, cylinder placement, and attention to detail on the gaskets make for big gains.
    On the rfi, I was getting high 61's all day at 7350-7400 rpm with the bronze pump & a 15/23 concord. Now, 7550 @ 60 mph with rfi but the big thrust is a fair trade off for me. I'm running a 15/23 concord in it too but will soon be running a 16/24 swirl, hopefully by next week. I'm waiting for my top end to bust up so I can toss on the Miller setup..You know my temps by now.. get this. 1320 degrees both cyls!! But, only 1170 on the (3rd) side mounted probe 3/4" up & center on the manifold, PTO side. Swapped probes & still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    I get 7250 R's at 64mph. Sock porting 1075egts.

I hate the stock carbs with the bog a high speed turns.
    Any suggestions?

I would love to do away with that one issue.

.I don't have reverse cooling either.
    Have you tried richening up the pilots? Most of the time the bog is from too lean of mixture, as the engine is under a serious load in a turn. My 96 does this same thing...but other buddies such as JJ has went upwards of 110 pilots and eliminated this problem on his 97GSX, with similar setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    On the rfi, I was getting high 61's all day at 7350-7400 rpm with the bronze pump & a 15/23 concord. Now, 7550 @ 60 mph with rfi but the big thrust is a fair trade off for me. I'm running a 15/23 concord in it too but will soon be running a 16/24 swirl, hopefully by next week. I'm waiting for my top end to bust up so I can toss on the Miller setup..You know my temps by now.. get this. 1320 degrees both cyls!! But, only 1170 on the (3rd) side mounted probe 3/4" up & center on the manifold, PTO side. Swapped probes & still the same.
    You aren't going to squeak one...those temps look good!

You could have other issues such as a crank bearing giving up...although it won't last long before you will squeak one from excess load. There is a fine line between rpm and hp, the more hp you make the higher rpm your engine will turn. Unloading the engine just to get rpms is what is killing your top speed. I would think 62-63 would be attainable with your hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I cut a 13/14 SSL prop to work in the RFI pump. Very close to the same "load" as an XO in a stock pump(with the SSL stock), but much better hookup. I bent the trailing edge/leading edge a small amount, and gained another 1mph. It is about three mph faster than the stock 16/24 concord now. SSL prop is [email protected] to [email protected] for the concord??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    I cut a 13/14 SSL prop to work in the RFI pump. Very close to the same "load" as an XO in a stock pump(with the SSL stock), but much better hookup. I bent the trailing edge/leading edge a small amount, and gained another 1mph. It is about three mph faster than the stock 16/24 concord now. SSL prop is [email protected] to [email protected] for the concord??
    Have you ran any swirls in that rfi? Like the 16/24?
    What needs to be done to make a SSL fit in the pump?

Uh, you have too many fast toys in your sig there buddy!
    I want toys like that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information