Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

essentails a newbie should know?

So, I just picked up a 2007 FX HO and I'm curious if there are any essentials I should know. This is the first ski I've owned and I haven't ridden one in a long time (as the 30mph+ getoff can attest to). Being the home mechanic I am (all my bikes and cars get disassembled at some points), I was wondering if there are any "must do" mods. Any good performance sites? Good reads on riding skills? Etc?

Oh yeah... and uh, hi.

ps-This thing is a beast. Got through the break in and was amazed by the top end on this thing. I love the ability to adjust the pitch too. Picked it up saturday and the first oil change will probably be next weekend. I gotta go pick up and oil suction pump... thing.

+1
    welcome to the forum !

+1
    Welcome Junk..........You should be very happy with your FX HO.VERY NICE SKI !

+1
    good lord junk. that was a fast break in. my fatherinlaw has an fx ho and it is a very well rounded machine. kinda like cruising on your favorite recliner. and it moves out pretty good as well

oh and hi

If you are happy with the power, performance, etc. and not wanting to really mod the ski, the only thing I might recommend is at some time get the Riva Power Filter as it is much better than the paper element in these skis (assuming they still use it). Once the paper element starts getting dirty, you start loosing several hundred RPMs and it isn't quite as snappy of throttle response.

Everything I have heard about doing to those is the

RIVA RPM Kit

and

Jims Rideplate

I'm happy with the power, but I'm also always interested in a little more juice. A freer flowing exhaust and intake are always what I do first. Factories are great for keeping things quiet, but you can usually get a bit more juice, better throttle response and (sometimes) better mileage with a few quick mods.

But since I'm completely new to the sport, someone wanna clue me into what a rideplate is? Also, what's the deal with the intake grate mods? People seem to be all about those and I just don't get it. I thought the intake grate wafact grates just a slatted metal piece that ahelp keep the big chunks out; I haven't put it up on a trailer and looked at the underside of the hull though. It sits on a floating dock for now, since it's at my mom's house in the CA delta (Disco Bay, if anyone knows the place).

Thanks for the welcoming, can't wait to get skilled on the mechanics of these things. Next purchase will probably be a service manual. Speaking of service, anyone know a good/cheap site to get an oil pump can, so I can do the 6hr oil change?

</long_winded_sleepy_reply>

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    I'm happy with the power, but I'm also always interested in a little more juice. A freer flowing exhaust and intake are always what I do first. Factories are great for keeping things quiet, but you can usually get a bit more juice, better throttle response and (sometimes) better mileage with a few quick mods.

But since I'm completely new to the sport, someone wanna clue me into what a rideplate is? Also, what's the deal with the intake grate mods? People seem to be all about those and I just don't get it. I thought the intake grate wafact grates just a slatted metal piece that ahelp keep the big chunks out; I haven't put it up on a trailer and looked at the underside of the hull though. It sits on a floating dock for now, since it's at my mom's house in the CA delta (Disco Bay, if anyone knows the place).

Thanks for the welcoming, can't wait to get skilled on the mechanics of these things. Next purchase will probably be a service manual. Speaking of service, anyone know a good/cheap site to get an oil pump can, so I can do the 6hr oil change?

</long_winded_sleepy_reply>
    Well on all skis free flow exhaust might not be a good thing. Like on the GPRs it isn't you lose some speed.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=512

I would buy that. It comes with intake, exhaust mods that are good, rideplate to mod, and intake grate.

The rideplate will gain you the most speed. It is what the ski rides on when out of the water. Get it modded by Jim on here for more angle and other things and you will get more speed.

Intake grate will help it deal with the amount of water that is entering the pump and keep it more hooked to the water. You will want this.

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into the kit.

Nice numbers on the TA in your signature. Can't wait 'til I can claim my Satellite Wagon is around there.

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into the kit.

Nice numbers on the TA in your signature. Can't wait 'til I can claim my Satellite Wagon is around there.
    Thanks! This ski I have is the first one I have modded and these guys have helped me every step of the way. Very good people. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information