Riva Powerfilter Review

Well I finally got the Pro-series Powerfilter installed. And I must say it was a chore. I would say that total time invested was about 7-8(conservative) hours. It would have taken less time if I had a service manual, but this was the first time I had really gotten into the ski.

Here is what I learned: It was a pain to get the factory airbox out. The ecm plugs are color coded for a reason It is not too hard to get to all of the clamps, but it would have been easier if I was elastic man and could see through metal. The Riva instructions are made for people who have a manual. The worst part was drilling the holes in my brand new baby, but on to the results:

First is the noise. I have to say that it's loud, but not too loud for me. I think it really sounds good. It sounds like a Civic with a cold air intake with the hood off (no, I'm not a ricer). Everyone who has heard it said it sounds cool. You can hold it between 4-4.5k rpm to really increase the effect. I can say that the wind noise at WOT is louder than the intake noise from a riders prospective. The supercharger whine is not as noticeable as I thought it would be. I was thinking maybe a Lightning type sound or an 03-04 Cobra, but it was a lot higher pitch. Maybe because the SC is a lot smaller. Since I don't really go on long rides or "cruises" I don't mind it, but I must say that after a day of riding my ears ring a little. It is not as loud as my friends XLT1200 with the fresh air mod.

Now on the the performance. My best previous speed was 67 mph with 2 different riders on 2 different days. My best with the intake was 68.5 on a different day with 2 different riders. I can't say that these were back to back tests, but the water conditions and temp were the same or worse than the previous tests. I think it is safe to say that the intake gained me at least 1.5 mph. Also the RPMs were consistently in the 7900 range, up from the 7800's previously.

Other thoughts: Overall I like it. My next test will be the R-Rated stage 2 exhaust. I hope that it will compliment the intake (results will be posted). After that I will be testing the pulley. The noise is livable, I actually like it. Would I do it again...yes. Price is too high for what you get. It would be more attractive @ $299 or less. My friend went .1 mph faster than me on it and he weighs 380 to my 200 pounds. Go figure.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    . My friend went .1 mph faster than me on it and he weighs 380 to my 200 pounds. Go figure. [/quote]

We need a pic of the worlds largest Superman,( Do it again Barlow ILL have my camera this time), lol
    Last edited by Aquaholic6801; 05-25-2007 at 01:35 AM.

I might ride Percy this Sunday...but a vid cam in Drakes Creek is on for this week

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboJimmy View Post
    I might ride Percy this Sunday...but a vid cam in Drakes Creek is on for this week

I rode over there today for a lil while,I may join you sunday see whats going on over there.

Thanks for the writeup. I thought about doing that mod too, but I actually like my cupholders.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cue03 View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. I thought about doing that mod too, but I actually like my cupholders.

Yeah its kinda nice to have a decent sized compartment there.

Quote Originally Posted by cue03 View Post

I really don't miss it as much as I thought I would, I can still fit my ski key, car keys, and cell phone as well as a few more small things. Plus I made sure I could replace it if I really hated it.

Wink

I`ll save the 400 bucks and my cup holder/glove box compartment.
    I`m working on a home brew system that will work better and cost way less. When I`m done I will post the pic`s. Don`t hold your breath.
    I have other project going also....

Thread Information