Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What causes a motor to over-rev

I have a stock 2006 Speedster 200 with the 430hp option. I was at an idle and I took off full throttle. My left motor spiked to 8000 rpms and it felt like something was slipping. I had to back off the throttle a little to let the rpms back down. Once I felt the slipping go away I floored it and everything was okay. I've been reading up on the s/c issues and dont know if this over-rev has something to do with the ceramic washers. Does anyone know what the cause might be. My rpms are normally around 7400-7600.

Quote Originally Posted by 800REV View Post
    I have a stock 2006 Speedster 200 with the 430hp option. I was at an idle and I took off full throttle. My left motor spiked to 8000 rpms and it felt like something was slipping. I had to back off the throttle a little to let the rpms back down. Once I felt the slipping go away I floored it and everything was okay. I've been reading up on the s/c issues and dont know if this over-rev has something to do with the ceramic washers. Does anyone know what the cause might be. My rpms are normally around 7400-7600.

Either you wer cavating or you had some sludge/seaweed blocking the intake grate!

Ive seen guys fighting to get the seaweed out of there intake grate befores(boat wouldnt even move)

I'm sure the guys with the 200s will chime in with better expertise on the subject, but coming from I guy with a 150, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Or, the worry would be... why are your RPMs so low? If you have the S200 430hp, then your engines should be rev-limited at 8200, so at 8000, you haven't over-revved. In fact, at 8000, you're still running slower than most of us choose to run at wide open throttle. I would wonder why you are normally at 7400, which sounds more like that of the naturally aspirated engine.

With my one supercharged engine, my RPMs are at 8100 full throttle, but when I punch it from a standstill, I'm banging off the 8200 limiter for a second before the boat gets going. I've heard that descibed as "cavitation", but also read that it is scientifically not cavitation. It is really the effect of trying to move the enormous weight of the boat from a standstill.

People say your RPMs won't go over 6700 when your lose a SC washer. How many hours to you have on the boat though? Could be time for a supercharger service. (at which time you could get the metal washers put in... then you could do what it takes to get your RPMs up to where they need to be.)

-Scott

Sounds as though you may have had something in the intake, maybe some grass or garbage. As VX1 said you have an 8200rpm rev limiter so you in no way over reved the boat. My normal rpm range at WOT is about 7700-7800. My tach shows a 200-300 rpm differences between the motors but from what I've read thats just a tach issue. The S-200 SCIC don't seem to turn as many rpms as the 150s and skis do. That could be just the extra weight of the boat and improper impeller selection from Sea Doo. I'll be finishing up my 4" intakes on Saturday and should have a test run on Sunday. I'm hoping to see 8100 rpms and 63mph. I'll post how it does.

Well I talked to the mechanic at the stealership and first thing he said was cavitation. I have had the boat out 6 times now and this was the first time it did it. I have more idle time on the boat because of all the no wake zones. I dont think I have even 10hrs on the boat.

When I said over-rev, I meant that 400 rpm's over normal is what I consider over-rev. I've had it up to 64mph @ 7600 rpm. This was going by speedo. I was a little dissapointed. I would of thought 70 mph for a 430hp boat. I will have to get the gps and check real speeds.

I plan on doing the 4" intake and maybe the Green s/c upgrade. The thing is with twins it cost me twice as much to modify.

Thanks for your suggestions. This rookie is learning every day.

I've had it up to 64mph @ 7600 rpm. This was going by speedo. I was a little dissapointed. I would of thought 70 mph for a 430hp boat.

Let me guess that's what the dealer told you huh?? Sorry but you are going to be very disappointed if you were looking for 70. Your boat will GPS about 58-60mph. With some intakes, wedge kits and SC upgrades you'll be about 65-66. And yes I feel your pain about have to buy everything twice. LOL. Good luck with your boat.

Same problem again. This time I had 7 people in the boat and I took off slowly. Same motor reved up to 8000 again. Before I took off I hit the intake grate clean button. Once I'm on plane and slow down, I can floor it and everything is fine. I Dont know, might have to load the boat on the trailer to get a better look. If something was plugging the intake wouldnt I notice my top end being slower?
    Last edited by 800REV; 05-29-2007 at 03:25 AM.

Usually if it's weed or something small then it will pass on through and you would notice it at higher speeds. Now does this happen everytime you take off like this or is it more intermittant? If it's something that happens everytime then I would check the wear ring and impeller closely. Being that's it's the same motor everytime then I'm leaning toward something being wrong.

My boat will cavitate like that when loaded heavy sometimes if I go from idle to WOT. Try half throttle to just get the boat moving and the pumps loaded and then go WOT and you may see a big improvement. Hope this helps.

I did take off this time slow. That's why I'm thinking there is a issue with that side. The last 2 times I had it out, I've had this problem. Whats funny is, I have a Jet Dock and when I load the motors to drive the boat on, I dont have the problem. I might get out tonight for a little spin. I will play around since I wont have so many people.

I did have my right motor temp light come on. That constant alarm is ear piercing. I had to un-plug the damn thing to think. I shut the motor down and grabbed the owners book. I hit the gate clean button and everything was okay. Something must of been plugging the grate. I'm going to get some duct tape and cover the beeper. At least it wont be so loud.

Thanks Paul, I guess I have to pull the boat out. Do you think this is covered under my 3 year warrenty.
    Last edited by 800REV; 05-29-2007 at 04:30 PM.

I did have my right motor temp light come on. That constant alarm is ear piercing. I had to un-plug the damn thing to think.
    So did you continue to run the motor while it was overheating? If so that's not a good thing. Just shut it down and try and figure out why. I know what you mean about the alarm that sucker is loud. Sounds like you had something stuck in the intake for sure. You need to get it up on the trailer and get under the boat and check the impeller and wear ring. If whatever was caught in there damaged something that could be your problem. Even the smallest problem can show up with a boat that heavy and that much power. You could have a chunk out of your wear ring or impeller. It could also be as simple as something is still wrapped around the impeller shaft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information