Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultra 250 vs LX

+1

Ultra 250 vs LX

I got to do some serious comparisons between both Ultras today. It was a very windy day with sustained wind of 25 mph with 30mph gusts. The Banana River was like victory at sea with cresting whitecaps and rollers from shore to shore. I was able to run one ski, putting it through it's paces, and then immediately jump on and run the other. The 250 had 1/2 tank fuel and the LX was full. I was surprised how the LX was able to handle the rough water conditions better than the 250. The weight difference without the SC and intercooler was partially reduced due to its heavier fuel load, so it must have been the stock wedge on the LX that made most of the difference. This Ultra didn't have the wedge mod. Going into the wind the LX's bow was noticeably higher out of the water. Both skis had no problem running full throttle into the wind. The stock speedometer on the 250 averaged 65 with an occasional wave induced jump to 70. The LX speedo said 50 and jumped to 65 at one point. True speed wasn't important as I was comparing the handling of each ski, not the top speed. Running into a following sea, the 250's pump would frequently break loose and the engine would rev up. The LX never lost suction under the same conditions. ??? The wedge must have actually improved the ride under these conditions. ??? The ride on the LX was also considerably dryer than on the 250 when running with the wind.

This particular 250 had zero cavitation off the line...dido for the LX. In a drag race the 250 shot out on the LX as expected, but the mid range difference between the two was less than I would have thought. I have operated a lot of skis over the years and I don't think ANY of them, regardless of mods and calm water top speed would hold a candle to the 250 under todays water conditions. The wife, a former SD test rider agreed with me. She was impressed with the acceleration and cornering prowness of the 250. She didn't appreciate the wet ride though..the GTX style hulls are much dryer. The RXP is wetter and would never be able to do 60+ in todays water conditions even if the rider had a death wish.

I can see the need for a bow mounted "dry box" in these skis. Upon returning the top removable bow storage compartment was 1/2 full of water and even the lower storage area was wet. Granted, from the way the hood was shaking on both skis, a tighter adjustment may have made for a better seal.

It has been said that the gas milage on the 250 sucks...maybe so, but it depends on what you are comparing it to. I had an 18' Sleekcraft jet boat with a 454 Chevy that would burn 30 gallons an hour and not be able to match the top speed of the Ultra in calm or rough water.

Richard

Thanks for the feedback Richard.

Curtis

Wink

Your findings match my experience with the 250X.
    I also agree that the wedge has a lot to do with the ski`s better ride.
    I put mine on an noticed this immediately.
    As far as GPH. I have had better GPH results on my RXP, but road it less when it was less than ideal conditions. It`s not really that much more fuel consumption on the 250X.
    I like the ride and handling better than my RXP and it will run faster in everyday conditions....
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 05-26-2007 at 08:50 PM.

I don't understand, did you change the pump wedge on one of these ski's? I f so which one? Also, what is real top speed on the LX?

The pump wedge is a factory part that comes already installed on the LX.

When you order the pump wedge for the 250x, you are ordering the LX pump wedge from Kawasaki.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
    I don't understand, did you change the pump wedge on one of these ski's? I f so which one? Also, what is real top speed on the LX?

I have both ski's mentioned above. My findings are the same. I did get the Wedge from a person on this website to help with the attitde of my 250. I actually wish there was someting more I could buy to get the nose up just a hair.
    Top speed so far on my wifes LX is 54, but we always have 1/2 a tank or better.
    Top speed on my 250 has shown 67, but lately shows 61-63, HOW DO I GET THE SPEEDO TO WORK BETTER.

Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    I have both ski's mentioned above. My findings are the same. I did get the Wedge from a person on this website to help with the attitde of my 250. I actually wish there was someting more I could buy to get the nose up just a hair.
    Top speed on my 250 has shown 67, but lately shows 61-63, HOW DO I GET THE SPEEDO TO WORK BETTER.

Thanks Jeff
    loosen 2 srews on speedo pick up wheel, move up or down to match GPS, only slight movements needed, may have to enlarge holes on some models

What is a pump wedge?

New 250x owner 5 hours

What is a pump wedge, and is it easy to install.

Can I have the dealer put it on. Does it replace a part, or is it an addition.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelentini View Post
    New 250x owner 5 hours

What is a pump wedge, and is it easy to install.

Can I have the dealer put it on. Does it replace a part, or is it an addition.

Pump Wedge

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post

Thanks Jeff
    To get the nose up more you will have to change the ride plate angle. 1 to 2 degrees is all it will require.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information