Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My weekend just GOT MUCH WORSE!!!!!

So not only did I lose my gear as in the other thread, but get a load of this joy of a day.

Get down to Toms River...look the ski over and it's not as bad as I thought for 2 1/2 years of downtime, no biggie...dirty and the bullshizzle footwell pads are now unglued and floating etc...again...no biggie...just makes way for Hydroturf.

Proceed to pop the seat and look around...not the prettiest sight but not horrendous, just your typical surface rust from the salt water etc...now the fun part.

Go and get gas...come back and fuel them up, I'm about to drop this SOB in the water when long and behold......(drum roll please)...My throttle is stuck!!! You guessed it...the damn flywheel is nearly frozen with it only moving when the throttle trigger accelerates...(Think Cole Trickle here..and Days of Thunder..."just give me the high gear!!!)...Yup...pinned...with slack in the throttle cable of course since the flywheel won't retract.

So now I'm fuming because I had the Yama/Kawi dealer on Rt 37 do the startup for me this past Thursday, well get a load of this crap, I call them up and the guy proceeds to tell me that all they did was drop a new battery and plugs in my GPR, realized the throttle was frozen and proceeded to back off and call it a day stating that "We don't deal or get involved with that sort of repair work!"..WTF are you kidding me or what? So he refers me to some guy out on Fisher Blvd next to the East Hanover (sp?) marina...Jet Moble or some crap like that..and tells me to talk to Joe because he says that he things my carbs are screwed....GREAT!!! Just GREAT!!!!

To make a long story short..I call this guy Joe and tell him what I found..he proceeds to tell me that he doesn't thing its a problem with my throttle cable itself but thinks the carbs may be the cause of the problem and THEN proceeds to tell me that once he looks at it...he should be able to tell me exactly what's wrong...he also says that each carb runs about $560 EACH....so you can imagine how much this venture is going to cost me.

Here is a summary of my weekend thus far:

1. Lost all my gear (Slippery full suit, gloves, and PFD)

2. Frozen Throttle....no riding unless I blow the motor and launch a piston thru my seat

3. Possible Carb rebuild or new carbs all together....Big bucks..upwards of $2,000+ according to Joe at Jet Mobile.

So now I'm going back down the shore tomorrow, having my buddy with his XL 800 tow me off the lift to a ramp somewhere in the area...put my ski on my trailer and hope the I can find someone that can look at it for me tomorrow, pray that the cards are fine and that things just need to be cleaned up a bit.

I ask that if anyone here is mechanically inclined and thinks they can help me out, I'm willing to pay someone if they can look into this problem of mine. I'll be in Bayville right around the corner from Berkeley Island State Park...and then I'm going to Toms River to get the ski.

I launch out of Whitey's ...cool launch little launch ramp on the same street my friends parents got their house...$10 each time or $75 for the season. I'm probably going to be a Berkeley Island regular this season.

If I'm forced to drop whole new carbs in this thing, is there any other options other than the stock Mikini carbs that I can put in there to give me a little more out of the ski, If I'm going to have to rip them out..let's do this thing right ....

HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

+1
    Thats bad news Dave.Did you try to manualy move the throttle linkage on the carbs without using the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Thats bad news Dave.Did you try to manualy move the throttle linkage on the carbs without using the cable?
    Hey Woody, I traced the throttle cable down off the handlebars and into the engine compartment on the starboard side...I took what I believe to be the flywheel and manually tried to spin it back and forth...that sucker was not giving way..it would spin if I pulled on the throttle trigger...but it wouldn't retract. I even popped the washer and not off the bastard and cleaned up around the stem..but none of that stuff worked. I'm not really used to turning wrenches on my ski so that was the extent of it...then I got sad....ohh..so very sad....

Sorry..to answer your question...probably not at least not knowingly. Sound like the carbs are shot huh?

Dave

+1
    Time for a carb rebuild. Have you sprayed fogging oil in the motor yet?

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Time for a carb rebuild. Have you sprayed fogging oil in the motor yet?
    Yeah..the motor was fogged when the winterization service took place, it smoked up something nice..as expected.

Woody, If I'm going to have to rebuild or replace these bad boys altogether...I might as well seize the opportunity and do something more performance oriented right?...(Evil smiley here) What do you recommend...something that wouldn't have me in the shop every week needing adjustments or breaking down on me...I would like to enjoy my ski ...LOL

Thanks
    Dave

+1
    Drico, there is nothing on those carbs that cant be fixed. Carb rebuild kits are 60 bucs for each carb. Hell take the carbs off send me the kits and the carbs ill send them back to you as good as new. FYI oem carbs can be found on ebay for under 200 bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    Drico, there is nothing on those carbs that cant be fixed. Carb rebuild kits are 60 bucs for each carb. Hell take the carbs off send me the kits and the carbs ill send them back to you as good as new. FYI oem carbs can be found on ebay for under 200 bucs.
    The clown on the phone with me today was telling me I'm looking at over 2g's of carb work...what's he smokin? I would imagine he would just know this info off hand since he's in the business, I wonder if he's trying to get some $$ out of me with this song and dance...

I was thinking since I have to have them rebuilt..maybe flame arrestors..etc..but I may be getting too ahead of myself...very easy to do in my case...

I wish I knew how to remove the carbs..then maybe I would be better off shipping them off for a rebuild and maybe some go faster goodies...but alas I'm not small motor prolific..

Dave
    Last edited by Drico; 05-27-2007 at 12:44 AM.

+1
    You need to be talking to Carl at Island Racing up your way, you can even pull the carbs off yourself (not a hard job) and send them to him or down to Jim at Performance. They both know thier carbs. For that matter, Ben has a set of carbs on a rack for sale for $500 already rejetted; look in the classified section.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drico View Post
    The clown on the phone with me today was telling me I'm looking at over 2g's of carb work...what's he smokin? I would imagine he would just know this info off hand since he's in the business, I wonder if he's trying to get some $$ out of me with this song and dance...

I was thinking since I have to have them rebuilt..maybe flame arrestors..etc..but I may be getting too ahead of myself...very easy to do in my case...

I wish I knew how to remove the carbs..then maybe I would be better off shipping them off for a rebuild and maybe some go faster goodies...but alas I'm not small motor prolific..

Dave

Dave there are a lot of good places to learn.

Go here and look at this guys stuff. he has great pics and directions. that is where I started. just do it as he does. exhaust then carbs.. you will be just fine.
    http://www.cajundude.com/techpagehome.htm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drico View Post

Dave
    Dave, it's not hard at all... follow the directions, take your time, and ask someone on here if you get stuck, are unsure of something, or have a question. Go here for the manual; http://www.ramnj.com/GP1200R.pdf

My 2 cents.... when unhooking cables, wires, or hoses, use a sharpie and masking tape to mark where it came off of... makes reinstalling everything simpler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information