Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Rxtx 300 best way to check oil accuracy anyone know

    I recently did an oil change and I over filled the ski. It was above the top mark and ski ran like crap. I removed some oil. Now if I check it after it sits for awhile itís at he top mark. If I start it and let it run for a few seconds then I check t itís at the bottom mark. I want to make sure itís not going into limp mode so whatís the accurate read so it doesnít go limp. Cold or after running a few seconds?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    73
    +1
    8
    1. level ski s side bumper with a spirit level.
    2. run ski on the hose for 2 minutes.
    3. switch of the engine and wait for 30 secs.
    4. measure oil level

    should be at the top mark. if its higher you have to suck some out from the dip stick tube.
    some say that if its right in the middle of the 2 marks gives you more rpm at the top end, while is still safe for the engine.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3

    Rxtx 300 best way to check oil accuracy anyone know

    Quote Originally Posted by OP. LOCK View Post
    1. level ski s side bumper with a spirit level.
    2. run ski on the hose for 2 minutes.
    3. switch of the engine and wait for 30 secs.
    4. measure oil level

    should be at the top mark. if its higher you have to suck some out from the dip stick tube.
    some say that if its right in the middle of the 2 marks gives you more rpm at the top end, while is still safe for the engine.
    You are correct in saying anywhere in between the top or bottom marks is ok, anything above the line will be sucked out and end in the IC and anything below the line not good.

  5. #4
    jeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toms River NJ
    Posts
    339
    +1
    39
    Heres the simplest way ...if your ski was running good and your level on the dipstick was good before the oil change and you sucked out 3 and a half quarts you replace it with 3 and a half quarts...

  6. #5
    Pwgsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW- TX
    Posts
    1,196
    +1
    38
    I had a hard time with this as its not like checking the old RXP's. But I found a calm day and put the ski in the water and tied the rear to the dock. Let it idle for 2 mins and shut it off. Let it sit for 30 seconds and then checked the reading. I put mine dead center of the 2 marks and its been running great ever since. I now have a measuring cup and will only put in what I pump out. You might need to add a little for loss and what the old filter is holding but at least your reading will be pretty darn close.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    You are correct in saying anywhere in between the top or bottom marks is ok, anything above the line will be sucked out and end in the IC and anything below the line not good.
    Thats why you run a catch can... It will take care of any overfill.


  8. #7
    Pwgsx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW- TX
    Posts
    1,196
    +1
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
    Thats why you run a catch can... It will take care of any overfill.
    LOL, those cans dont hold much oil if you are overfilled. It will be all over your motor in no time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Carbon seal: So whats the best way to check?
    By SeaDoocer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM
  2. Best Way to Check Charging System
    By KingJaga in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  3. Best way to drain oil tank?
    By AquaGuy in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
  4. Best way to check for air leaks
    By retro in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
  5. oil change, best way to remove oil
    By MIARider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •