Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP 12 Volt Low?

What could this be when you get the 12 volt low message? It only seems to happen for a second and then go away after starting. It's an '06 with under 20 hours on it. Battery is good.

And do any of you experience bad performance when the tank is getting low? I'm not talking really low....like 1/4 tank?

Thanks.

+1
    I get that on mine also..No problems yet.start it, idle it ,ride it ,it goes away wount worry to much

what kinda performance are you losing??My ski will start to porpice a little but i dont loose any speed or anything..

+1
    check the voltage rectifier fuse, that can be loose, happened to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    what kinda performance are you losing??My ski will start to porpice a little but i dont loose any speed or anything..

Major power loss. First time it happened we thought the SC washers were toast because it wouldn't go over 7000. We had the washers checked and they were OK, so then we thought it was bad gas or water in it. We siphoned it out TWICE and put fresh gas in. The 12 volt low also doesn't happen until the gas gets low which is about the time performance drops.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. I would suspect the charging coil or voltage regulator.

Put a voltmeter on the battery while it's running and see what you get, it should be around 13.5 V.

+1
    Ya there definatly is something else not right ..I hate electrical problems.
    its like chasing your tail sometimes..I dont even know were to begin on this..Ill let some other members with a little more knowledge chime in..Hopefully they can help....Maybe ..maybe fuel pump or reglator..

Well, one simple thing comes to mind. I'd try unpluging the sending unit. A fuel tank sending unit is nothing more than a resistor. That's the only corrolation to a low voltage light and the engine running rough. Usually they just go open when they fail, but maybe it's causing a short and backfeeding the computer somehow at 1/4 tank. I'd fill it up, unplug the sending unit and go for a spin!

Thanks for the ideas. I will put a volt-meter on it tomorrow and check the sending unit.

Battery, connection or (maybe) starter????

I don't know whether this will help, BUT
    On all batteries, the voltage will drop when starting. The lo voltage alarm is normally supressed until once you've started to eliminate just the problem you describe. However, if anything in the electrical system is marginal, e.g. your battery, or connections in the charging system, the lo voltage condition after starting could remain long enough to register momentarily

I would check the battery and its connections first

We actually had this problem just before our starter motor failed. It was taking massive current to crank the engine which meant the lo volt alarm went momentarily due to excessive discharge of the battery during starting.

I had the same trouble with mine... - And it was all the electric bundle...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information