Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Question 2001 Virage 700 No spark unless bilge button is held

    Hi all,
    Brand new to the hulk.
    2001 Polaris virage 700 carb that quit while on the lake. No spark unless I hold down the bilge pump button, then it will start but will lose spark once bilge pump button is released. Been searching the site and have seen some similar posts but not sure what my first step should be. Any direction or links to this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,455
    +1
    1,255
    Welcome.

    The LR-505 Start/stop module controls power to the ignition. Failure is common on the original 2001 LR-505 modules, IIRC. The LR-505 senses the battery charging AC signal from the magneto stator charging coil (on Yellow wire) to switch power to the Orange wire, which powers the ignition and bilge pump (sounds crazy, but is true).

    I would suspect the LR module has failed, but you should open electrical box and do some checking. Should be clean and dry inside with zero corrosion.

    Put an accurate volt meter on battery posts, then start engine and watch battery voltage. It should rise to 13.5 volts or higher, up to about 14.5 volts. This indicates LR module (which also regulates battery charging) is providing battery charging. If the voltage stays below 13.0 volts with engine running then the battery is not charging.
    Last edited by K447; 11-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.

  3. #3
    Hi again - Sorry I have not replied sooner - first diagnosed my 1991 X2 needs a new relay and then fixed the steering cable on the 96 SL1050. Thought I would leave the most difficult problem til last. So the 2001 Virage electrical box is clean and dry. Voltage at positive post post and first stud on relay is 12.6 volts. Once engine is running voltage at battery post stays under 11 volts.

    So if battery is not charging the LR module is faulty?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kdt View Post
    Hi again - Sorry I have not replied sooner - first diagnosed my 1991 X2 needs a new relay and then fixed the steering cable on the 96 SL1050. Thought I would leave the most difficult problem til last. So the 2001 Virage electrical box is clean and dry. Voltage at positive post post and first stud on relay is 12.6 volts. Once engine is running voltage at battery post stays under 11 volts.

    So if battery is not charging the LR module is faulty?
    The LR-505 as K447 say is faulty if charging voltage stay below the static or resting Battery Voltage in your case you state the battery was 12.6 volts before starting the engine and stayed below 12.6 volts after starting the engine(11 Volts), Because the charging Voltage did not increased while engine running then is suspected the LR-505 module is defective.

    My recommendation is to check the charging coil too, may be defective after the LR-505 module got damage, also check all the wires inside and outside the electrical box for burn or damage cables.

    Best Regards Tito

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5
    Hi - checked the wires and there are no burns. To be honest electrical is not my strong point so when you say charging coil, is that the stator assembly or the ignition coil or something else? Also how do I check the charging coil? Thanks for the help.


  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kdt View Post
    Hi - checked the wires and there are no burns. To be honest electrical is not my strong point so when you say charging coil, is that the stator assembly or the ignition coil or something else? Also how do I check the charging coil? Thanks for the help.
    Will be the Stator.
    The Stator is the main AC supply voltage for the charging system and Ignition system, then the LR-505 will rectify the AC voltage to DC so can be use by DC electrical motors, the Digital side of the CDI or Ignition System, Supply DC voltage to the Info Display and charging the battery, etc, etc...

    My Best Regards Tito.

  8. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,455
    +1
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Tune by Tito View Post
    Will be the Stator.

    The Stator is the main AC supply voltage for the charging system and Ignition system, then the LR-505 will rectify the AC voltage to DC so can be use by DC electrical motors, the Digital side of the CDI or Ignition System, Supply DC voltage to the Info Display and charging the battery, etc, etc...
    With engine NOT running, check for battery voltage on Yellow wire into LR module. Should be full battery voltage on Yellow with engine NOT running.

    If Yellow has battery voltage (about 12 volts DC) the the stator is probably good.

    If Yellow wire has zero or very little DC voltage (with engine off) then the stator may have failed, or the stator Red/Purple wire may have become disconnected inside electrical box.

  9. #8
    Hi - Want to make sure i am checking this right. I disconnect the yellow wire that connects the LR-505 to the stator. I then check the yellow wire (with the female receptacle) coming out of the LR-505 module and it measures exactly 12.0 volts. Positive battery post measure 12.4 volts. If I check the yellow wire with male spade coming from the stator it measures under 0.25 volts. Thanks

  10. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,455
    +1
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by kdt View Post
    Hi - Want to make sure i am checking this right. I disconnect the yellow wire that connects the LR-505 to the stator. I then check the yellow wire (with the female receptacle) coming out of the LR-505 module and it measures exactly 12.0 volts. Positive battery post measure 12.4 volts. If I check the yellow wire with male spade coming from the stator it measures under 0.25 volts. Thanks
    No disconnects needed to check the Yellow stator wire for battery voltage. All Yellow wires connected together should produce the same test result.

    But since you disconnected it anyways, the Yellow stator wire should measured full battery voltage (12.4 volts in your case). Since it does not, either the stator coil is bad or the Red/Purple stator wire has become disconnected from battery power. Find that specific Red/Purple wire. If it is indeed still connected to battery voltage then the stator charging coil has failed.

  11. #10
    Sorry guys but I'm confused. I plugged the yellow wire from the LR505 back into the yellow wire that goes to the stator and I get 11.82 volts. Battery is still at 12.4. It seems right to me that if the yellow LR505 wire is 12 when unplugged and I plug them back together I should see around 12 volts or should I see exactly 12.4. Again sorry for all the questions but what am I missing? Would a pic of what I'm checking help? With that said I don't see a way to attach a pic?? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 09:18 PM
  2. 2001 virage 1200 no spark help please
    By ADB in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM
  3. 2002 Polaris Virage 700 No Spark No Start
    By sltfan777 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
  4. 2001 VIRAGE TX no spark
    By BCGUMP in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
  5. polaris virage 700 no spark
    By itismejoshy in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •