Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help ASAP

Need help ASAP

I took my 04 RXP out today and had a problem. I unloaded the RXP and 2 xp's from the trailer. The ramp was very busy so I used the RXP and pulled the xp's to the shore. The ski seemed to sound good and I noticed no problems. It started right up on the trailer and in the water with the yellow key.

When the rest of my group parked the vehicles we loaded up and tried to take off. When I put my yellow key on it would just give me the long beep. I had just used the same yellow key just a few minutes prior. I then used the L-key and I had to hold the throttle wide open and perform the fuel flood mode for about 10 sec. It then started right up but would not turn over 2700 rpm. It continually refused the yellow key for about 20-30 attempts. It finally took the yellow key but would still only turn 2700. Just about every time I tried to start it I would have to perform the fuel flood procedure first.

After pulling it from the water it would rev above 2700 but took a lot more throttle then normal.

Just a little history. I bought the ski with 13 hours on it and installed metal washers before even putting it on the water.

After installing the washer I placed a mop handle in the impeler from the bottom and tested the sc unit like I think u supposed to? It was about 10 nm on the sc impeller nut.

I dont have any type of codes that come up on the display. If it threw a code would it come up every time u started it and stay until it was cleared by the dealer?

Any ideas?

2700rpm sounds like limp mode not a bad set of washers...Are you sure you got all the sensor wires hooked back up after putting the SC back in....Its easy to miss one....

I think so. I checked and double checked but I will look again. The only one I remember unhooking went to the exhaust I believe. i went to a sensor on the black rubber hose coming form the waterbox to the other side of the ski

I also checked a couple other things now:

Pump and impeller are clear of debris
    battery tested 12.1 without a load on my charger
    #3 plug is black #2 is white to light grey #1 is a light black or bronze color?

it had enough compression to push my thumb out of the hole...no compressiom tester yet

hope this helps so these posts are long just trying to provide as much info as possible

the ski is stock as far as I know

If #3 is black, then it suggests there is a problem with either the plug or coil. One thing we noticed is that these things do use plugs! I think we all get used to 4-stroke plugs lasting "forever", but these skis seem to be different.

As a first step, I would change the plugs, or at least swap out #3 with another to see if it follows the plug

I do not think the long beep is a problem related to the plug (unless it has been set up as a white key). This happens to us a lot - we normally clean the contacts and everything is fine.

a looong beep is associated with bad DESS connection or faulty lanyard...PR...

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Yup, happened to me....Ran like if it had the LK though....My bet goes out to a faulty key....

+1
    From what I read, this seems to be a problem that a few of you guys run in to. Is there anyway of bypassing this key system and going to a "regular" lanyard style like the other brands?

Any ideas why the yellow key works on and off? Sometimes it will take it some times it wont.

How do I check the coils?

Ok i have checked a couple more things.

I checked the onboard diag by pressing set 5 times...no codes
    If i run the ski for a short time the only plug that is warm is the #2 cyl. I tried a different coil with the same results.

I am assuming the thing is in limp mode but dont know why. Would a bad dess post cause this...both keys perform the same...wouldnt even the 35 its susposed to with the L-key or the yellow key?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Bingo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information