Thread: Newbie

+1

Well sort of.

I've been out of the PWC arena for about 7 years now. Some of you may remember me (Ron) from the first Jetfest held back in 1999. My best bud Mark Mahoney organized the event, and at the time, we were both riding Ultra's.

Anyway, as mentioned, I am somewhat lost on models, and have turned my attention to making high hp trucks. First with a Harley Davidson F-150, and now an SRT-10 Ram. I have debated getting back into the PWC scene, and am really unclear as to which model would be best suited for my needs.

In 1999, the Ultra was king. But I now realize that the new 4 strokes such as the RXP and 250X are pretty impressive right out of the box. I also see that Kerry Hibdon is pushing a Yamaha to speeds in excess of 90mph--in 99, 70 was the magic number.

I have predominatley owned Sea-doos and Kawi's including:
    1994 XP
    1996 Limted Edition 786 (every dealer got 2)
    1996 1100ZXI
    1997 Grey GSX Limited
    1999 Ultra 150

Never a Yamaha, but I am seriously considering it given the fact that they appear to have a lot of potential--in regards to speed, for less investment. And from what I am reading, the handling is top notch.

So, here are my questions, with speed and handling (straight line stability) being of equal importance, and the fact that I can't leave anything stock:

1. Which ski appears to "get the nod" from performance junkies? Is it new four stroke technology, or are the two strokes dominating?

2. What would it cost me to run 75 -80 mph, and yes, reliably?

3. Stability (rough water straight line); which offers the most confidence?

4. I live in NC, so are there any builders/tuners in the general area?

5. Are lakes cracking down on two strokes?

Thanks for any imput.

Ron

+1
    Welcome Ron,

1. RXP/RXT and GP13R. Ultra in less than a year.
    2. $2000-$10000 over the cost of the ski. Some do it less.
    3. All of them these days do okay in a straight line. None are too jittery.
    4. i'm sure there are.
    5. Since they are not illegal there is no cracking down.

Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    Well sort of.

I've been out of the PWC arena for about 7 years now. Some of you may remember me (Ron) from the first Jetfest held back in 1999. My best bud Mark Mahoney organized the event, and at the time, we were both riding Ultra's.

Anyway, as mentioned, I am somewhat lost on models, and have turned my attention to making high hp trucks. First with a Harley Davidson F-150, and now an SRT-10 Ram. I have debated getting back into the PWC scene, and am really unclear as to which model would be best suited for my needs.

In 1999, the Ultra was king. But I now realize that the new 4 strokes such as the RXP and 250X are pretty impressive right out of the box. I also see that Kerry Hibdon is pushing a Yamaha to speeds in excess of 90mph--in 99, 70 was the magic number.

I have predominatley owned Sea-doos and Kawi's including:
    1994 XP
    1996 Limted Edition 786 (every dealer got 2)
    1996 1100ZXI
    1997 Grey GSX Limited
    1999 Ultra 150

Never a Yamaha, but I am seriously considering it given the fact that they appear to have a lot of potential--in regards to speed, for less investment. And from what I am reading, the handling is top notch.

So, here are my questions, with speed and handling (straight line stability) being of equal importance, and the fact that I can't leave anything stock:

1. Which ski appears to "get the nod" from performance junkies? Is it new four stroke technology, or are the two strokes dominating?

2. What would it cost me to run 75 -80 mph, and yes, reliably?

3. Stability (rough water straight line); which offers the most confidence?

4. I live in NC, so are there any builders/tuners in the general area?

5. Are lakes cracking down on two strokes?

Thanks for any imput.

Ron
    1. People like the GPRs and RXPs at the moment
    2. GPRs tend to be cheaper to mod. These days on the EFI skis people are hitting close to 80 or over with out getting too crazy. In the end GPRs are cheaper to get to 80 and the skis cost less and are easier to fix if something blows.
    3. RXPs handle rough water better from what I have seen but I assume it is all in the setup. I have a GPR and I was in some rough water yesterday cruising 60+ with no problem.
    4. Not sure if there are any in NC but I am sure you could find a shop sorta close.
    5. A lake here in Oklahoma at one point banned PWCs all together but they started off with 2 strokes. Now the ban is lifted and everything is allowed. The way I look at it is they can ban yamaha and others from making them but they can't ban the current ones in use.

+1
    Thanks. However, I have done a lot of reading today, and it seems that most people think the RXP is really a smooth water boat. Does the GPR have the same characteristics?

+1
    After continued research, I think it's going to be hard to break away from my SeaDoo roots. I think that the RXP, along with the stage II Riva kit from 4techperformance.com would provide me with exactly what I'm looking for. By the way, when did Riva stop producing exclusively for Yamaha, and branch out to SeaDoo's?

+1
    Welcome to the forum !

+1
    Yep, welcome!

The best thing you can do is ride both a GPR and RXP.

Where are you located in NC. I ride at Lake Gaston (northeast of Raleigh). If your ever in the area feel free to stop by and ride my GPR, RXT, or I could get you a ride on a RXP.

I could never buy a new ski without riding them first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Yep, welcome!

The best thing you can do is ride both a GPR and RXP.

Where are you located in NC. I ride at Lake Gaston (northeast of Raleigh). If your ever in the area feel free to stop by and ride my GPR, RXT, or I could get you a ride on a RXP.

I could never buy a new ski without riding them first.
    Thanks M. I'm in a small town called Oakboro--about 30 miles East of Charlotte. We have a small place on lake Tillery, where I used to ride, as well as Badin and lake Norman. I may have to take you up on your offer.

Thanks again.

Thread Information