Need Help, New Skis, No Fuel

I ran the 1996 SXL 780 for one full day before it killed. I figured it was out of gas. I towed it in. I pulled it out of the water, opened the seat, and started troubleshooting. I have figured out that it is not getting gas to the carbs. Here is what I've checked and found out so far. The starter is trying to turn over just fine. I checked the spark by holding a screw driver from the wire boot to the plug and I can see and feel () sparks. I pulled the kill button off to make sure it was not contacting. I also opened the electrical box to see if anything was wrong. It was water tight without a drop of water and looks brand new in there. I then sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb's and it turned over and started. I killed it because it was out of the water. I think the carb cleaner gave it a bit to run on but it is still not getting fuel from the tank. I check the water/fuel seperator and it did have about a half inch of water in it and the red ring was floating at the top of the spring. I emptied it out and filled it with fuel to the top of the spring and put it back on after cleaning with a little gas. It now looks like the working ski in there after trying to start it again, so I think it's ok. Still no start. Something that I found was strange is that I followed all the fuel lines and I can not find a fuel filter anywhere. I think a previous owner removed it. I'll have to add a new one. I pulled the fuel sensor off the tank and checked for a blockage on the inlets and I was able to pull fuel out with a hand pump. I then removed the fuel pump and pulled it apart. It seems ok with no blockage. I blew on it and I did feel the diaphram let air through after a bit of pressure. It looks almost new in there. I hooked it back up and left one of the lines on the pump going to a carb off just to see if fuel would come out. When I turned it over no fuel came out. I am going to run to an auto store to see if I can find a pressure testor to test the pump diaphram. I was going to replace all the fuel lines but they look almost new. It seems to me that it is definately a fuel problem because it turns over with carb cleaner but without it no fuel is getting to the carbs and the starter keeps spinning with no go. I'm almost stuck at this point. I thought about the carbs, maybe a stuck float, but I did not think all three could go out at once. Shouldn't some fuel be pulling even if one was out? That leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere from the tank to the fuel pump. How can I further test where the fuel problem is at? I'm used to woring on cars but this is my first experience under the seat of a ski. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Edit: I forgot to mention I also filled it with premium fuel and new oil yesterday. That was after I towed it in from the water.
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 05-28-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Check the fuel on/off/reserve switch. They go bad and will not allow fuel to come through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    Check the fuel on/off/reserve switch. They go bad and will not allow fuel to come through it.
    Is that the round fuel cut off swith on the side. I pulled it off last night but I did not know how to check it. I'll go pull it off again but how can I test it?

Thanks

With the age of the ski it should be replaced. You should be able to blow air though it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I agree. Put a small piece of clean hose over the nipple and blow through it while switching the valve to an on position.Air should come out the middle nipple. Try it for the other one, and air should come out the middle again. If no air, the valve is bad. You can actaually disassemble the valve pretty easily for visual inspection of the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I agree. Put a small piece of clean hose over the nipple and blow through it while switching the valve to an on position.Air should come out the middle nipple. Try it for the other one, and air should come out the middle again. If no air, the valve is bad. You can actaually disassemble the valve pretty easily for visual inspection of the internals.
    Is that the switch on the side of the jet ski that you are refering to. I just now removed the black plastic knob and pulled it out. I took out the one small catch screw and looked at the inside. It looked clean inside and the pathway holes were not blocked. I only see two nipples on the outside of it. One hose goes to the fuel/water seperator and the other goes to the fuel pump. I pulled both hoses off and blew through it in the on position. Air came through it. It maybe felt a little restricted when blowing hard but it may be due to the small size of the pathway. I put it back and tried starting. Still no go.

Thank you

I think yor problem is in the fuel pump, if the ski had sat for some time, then the diaphram dried out. sure it worked for a while, but if it was cracked then it would give out after a bit of time. Use a hose again and attach it to the pulse inlet of the pump and use your mouth to actuate the diaphram. if it has a hole in it you will know.

I replaced the fuel cut off switch with a generic marine fuel filter and sprayed some more carb cleaner it the carb's. It finally started up. I'm going to take it out now for a bit to see how it runs. For now I will have to run without a switch. This week I will order a new switch and fuel pump rebuild kit just in case. I will probably change the plugs just because. Are there any NGK V-power plugs that will fit both skis? I have the part number for the regular NGK's that are in it now. Any recomendation on grease for the drive shaft and other parts? One more very important question. How do I turn off the MFD's. I switched out the fuse in both and they started working. Now they won't turn off. I wish I had the owners manual for these things. Any recomendation on a type of charger or the procedure for charging. I will read my repair manual some more tonight.

Thanks again

My mdf doesn't shut off either. It's not suppose to.

As far as charging, I would use a trickle charger. I always hook the charger to the battery before plugging the charger in to the outlet. That way, there are no sparks or voltage spikes.

Check with Atlantic Powersports (see sticky for Polaris parts, service, and acessories thread) for a manual and any Polaris parts you may need. Don't forget to mention that you are a green hulk member for the discount.

Good luck!

Good to know. I won't worry about the MFD's then. One LCD is working perfect and the other has some ghosting where the MPH is. Oh well. I got the SLX out on the water but it seems to be missing at idle and running rough. I think it is running rich because I can smell gas and there is the miss and a little black smoke at idle. Could it be time to rebuild the carbs or could it be something else. An adjustment? I pulled a couple plugs and they looked ok except for a little black which is probably typical. Thanks for all the good advice so far. I hope next weekend it will run again and maybe I can get some more stuff straightened out. I will be ordering parts this week.

Thread Information