Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

*UPDATE* Broke down GPR

Below is the original post from a week ago

GPR broke down this weekend

Okay, I was out riding all was well running great.

Went to the dock for a drink, came back about 20 min later and the ski wouldnt start.

It is making a clicking noise, and somtimes the crank will move just a bit. Not moving like its trying to turn over, just a very small crank sound movemnent. Mostly just clicking noise when you try and start it.

I got a brand new battery charge it 100% and it did the samething so its not the battery. Check connections FINE. Thought it may be my Advent so I put the stock CDI in and it did the same.

Something is keeping the crank from turning I think. I don't know alot about the workings of this so I need some help.

What could it be? snout broke, messed up crank, flywheel, piston problem?

Like I said, it was running great. Turned it off, came back and bam can't get it to do anything. Very odd, electrical current noise with a click and what sounds like 2 inces of crank movement every 5 or so tries.

This weekend I pulled the 05 pump to make sure it wasn't binding up as I had just installed it about 3 hours prior to my problems.

With the pump pulled and plugs in the motor did the same thing.

I pulled all the plugs and all was well. The pistons/crank moved perfectly and sounded fine.

I put a plug back in the 3rd cylinder ONLY and it began having the same symptoms again. I put all plugs back in and back to the samy problems I had.

Also, I put the battery charger on the ski and used the 75 AMP start feature. Doing this the motor made more of an effort to turn over but still wouldn't.

Sooo, it seems that the motor is fine, but I have an electrical problem.

What do you guys think it is? Bad starter, stator coils?? I'm not real familiar with the starting system on the GPR.

Thanks

+1
    Its either your starter or starter solenoid. Starter could be going bad on you. Also, make sure your negative is grounded and clean of any debris. Try and jump the solenoid, if the starter turns over, then its the solenoid. If the starter doesn't turn over, then its the starter. The only other thing it can be is a bad negative ground and a weak battery.
    Thats according to that clicking sound you are talking about. With the plugs in, you are putting a load on the motor persay, therefor drawing more juice. A weak starter will turn over, but may not be enough to start the ski up. How old is the starter?
    These are simple things to check before you go crazy tearing into stuff.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Shooter

The starter has 200 hours on it. It's the one that came in the boat when I bought it in 2000. The starter never showed any signs of going bad. This problem starter out of the blue after the ski had been running perfect and starting perfect.

I've already taken the exhaust pipe out. I'm thinking of going ahead an buying a starter?

EDIT: Starter is $400? Ouch
    Last edited by MPower; 05-28-2007 at 05:00 PM.

+1
    I would also inspect the battery cables. They might look good on the outside but might be corroded on the inside. You can check the ground by using jumper cables and hooking one end to the battery and the other end to a non painted bracket on the motor, like the rear exhaust stay bracket. You will have to be creative to test the positive cable.

+1
    I may have a starter for your ski, I'll take a look tonight. If I do, I'll send it to you and you can test that out to make sure its not the starter. If it works, we'll work out a much cheaper price than $400.
    PM me your address and I'll check it tonight and see if I have one.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    I may have a starter for your ski, I'll take a look tonight. If I do, I'll send it to you and you can test that out to make sure its not the starter. If it works, we'll work out a much cheaper price than $400.
    PM me your address and I'll check it tonight and see if I have one.
    SHOOTER

Wow, I love this forum! PM sent Shooter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    I would also inspect the battery cables. They might look good on the outside but might be corroded on the inside. You can check the ground by using jumper cables and hooking one end to the battery and the other end to a non painted bracket on the motor, like the rear exhaust stay bracket. You will have to be creative to test the positive cable.

Jeff, all of that is A okay. With the plugs removed the motor turns-over fine, well spins fine.

It's when under a load with the plugs in that won't start. Something doesn't have the juice to turn it over.

+1
    It's when under a load with the plugs in that won't start. Something doesn't have the juice to turn it over.[/quote]

Still sounds of a bad starter to me. Maybe the solenoid is damaged which is why the starter lacks torque while the plugs are in.

-Mike

+1
    Did you happen to check and see if you had spark at the spark plugs? Make sure the plugs are sparking before we go doing anything else just to make sure, quick and easy to check.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Spark is good Shooter. I'm thinking either starter or stator also.

Shooter, think I should get hold of a stator incase the starter isn't the issue?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information