Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1
    I know that it wouldn't be worth it to purchase a new impeller, but maybe having your impeller repitched a bit taller for lower rpm at optimal cursing speed would eventually pay off in fuel savings and further cursing mileage, of course you would sacrifice a bit of acceleration. Might be worth looking into or inquiring with some of the knowledgable prop pros here. Hope that you'll do a ride report story after you take your trip. Pictures along the way please.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    I know that it wouldn't be worth it to purchase a new impeller, but maybe having your impeller repitched a bit taller for lower rpm at optimal cruising speed would eventually pay off in fuel savings and further cruising mileage, of course you would sacrifice a bit of acceleration. ...
    There is a lot of info and focus around the forums on speed and acceleration. For maximizing fuel economy, cruise distance and cruise speed, not so much.

A slightly smaller jet pump exit nozzle (the nozzle bolted to the jet pump, not the steering nozzle) and/or an aftermarket tail cone (such as the Lucky 13) can potentially create more jet pump pressure and thrust at mid-range RPM. That might translate into lower fuel consumption for distance traveled and/or modestly higher hull speed for a given engine RPM.

Impeller repitch is also an option.

@Outboardjohn - I'll certainly do a ride report with some pics and hopefully video. Been wanting to take this trip for 10+ years. Unfortunately, timing hasn't allowed this until now... hopefully nothing changes. I'll also post distances/MPG/GPH/Avg speed etc... in case someone else turns crazy and decides to do this too. I'm sure i'll make some mistakes someone else can avoid. Others have taken similar tips and I wish they had posted more lessons learned/stuff they should have brought, etc. so I'll be certain to do that. I'm sure I'll wish I had brought something stupid, like a paperclip, that would have made a big difference for some reason or another.

Hopefully, K447's thoughts on the throttle body damper is the source of my problem. I'll post what I find, but seems weird it only happens at this constant speed.

Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahajetski View Post
    ... Others have taken similar tips and I wish they had posted more lessons learned/stuff they should have brought, etc. so I'll be certain to do that. I'm sure I'll wish I had brought something stupid, like a paperclip, that would have made a big difference for some reason or another.

Myself and others have posted various lists and tips of gear, tools and equipment to bring, especially on long trips. Have a look in the Safety and Offshore sections. Multiple good threads around, posted in various places.

Thanks! Will do.

Just a quick follow up. I replaced the rubber throttle body mount with the billet one. Not the funnest project as it is a very tight fit, but it is doable. Rode 40 miles last weekend and no more noise. It did it every ride before. Thanks for the suggestion!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahajetski View Post
    ... I replaced the rubber throttle body mount with the billet one.

Not the funnest project as it is a very tight fit, but it is doable.

Rode 40 miles last weekend and no more noise. It did it every ride before. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Was there visible damage or splitting in the factory rubber dampener mount that you removed?

That's a good question and I should have noted that. I was not able to see any sign of splitting, cracking, or damage. Maybe something was only apparent when torqued down? I've seen that on rubber bushings. Not sure, but I didn't do anything else to the motor. Noise and loss of RPM's are both gone.

+1
    Did you do the swap without removing the intake manifold?

Must have been a challenge if you were working down inside the hull below the intake manifold.

No. I removed the manifold. When I said "nothing else to the motor", I meant that I did no other engine mods. Just removed what was necessary to replace the mount. Sure, it's possible that something I removed and put back on could have been the issue. Maybe it was the plastic cover on top of the motor causing the whistle and loss of RPM's as I removed that too. As noted by the time you remove the TB and mount to inspect it you might as well just replace the mount. Thanks for the advice. I did what you suggested and it or something in the process corrected my issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information