1999 Yamaha xl 1200

Looking to buy my first waverunner, and had a question about the 99 xl 1200s. They look like they are pretty dependable, and the reviews seem to be very good. I was wondering about the "best bang for the buck" mod? What can I do to get a few more mph's out of it.

Im brand new to the forum, and read alot about the gp1200. Is that just the 2 seater version of the xl? They have the same engine, correct?

Thanks to all..

Go fast mods? Usual...intake grate, rideplate (esp. if it porpoises), waveeater clips if it has PV's, impeller.
    XL and GP have slightly diff. hulls, but ya a GP is a 2 seater, more perf. oriented, XL is more recreational (but still a blast). We have one of each!

thanks for the info stealth.. my buddy has a stock 1200xl and its a blast, plenty of room for storage as well.

had a question abøut the D plate... should I get one, or just wait for the CC to fail. What kind of performace increase should I see? Any disadvantages of going with it?

Just curious, whats the top speed of your xl?

just got through building a 99 xl1200 and its a very fun toy, 5 hrs on new motor. i also did a few bolt ons nothing major. after buying the ski and adding all the stuff i did , jim cut ride plate, ect,ect i am gps at 64 mph with half a take of fuel not to bad for a big 3 seater, and have $5,000 in everything.

a d plate imo is a must, if you wait till it goes bad it migh cause engine failure, and thats not good.

How does the broken cat cause engine failure? I have heard yes and no on this one....since its down stream of the engine, I dont see how this happens?
    FWIW, I did mine at 50hrs. My cat was still fine. Its a bit of a bugger of a job...can take anywhere from 1-3hrs IMO. I dont see a negative to doing it though. It does change the exhaust note a bit to my ears. In a very small rpm range, the motor has a deeper growl, then it goes away. The growl sounds like an older corvette motor with headers. Not unpleasant, just strange for a PWC.
    Perf. increase from a d-plate IMO is negligible, unless you have other mods that require a more free-flowing exhaust.

anyone reccomend a good place for the d plate. Looks like the average price is about 70-80 bucks. do you also need that sensor thing as well?

Yes, Need Sensor To Stop The Beeping.

Newbie here..,
    What is a d-plate?

d plate replaces the cat converter. which means cooler temps
    Last edited by ebarfool; 06-13-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Thread Information