Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'97 SL 1050 Problem.

Hello to the forum, I am new to Personal Watercraft and have purchased a '97 SL 1050. I have put about three tanks of gas through it and have been impressed with the performance. During the last outing, my son was riding and the ski stopped suddenly. It would restart, but would only travel a short distance and then stop again. I towed it back in and could not determine what the problem was. I inspected the fuel water seperator and found no problem, it had plenty of fuel in the tank. The fuel lines are clear and the carbs appear to be getting plenty of fuel. I Looked at the spark plugs and since I am not experienced in the art of reading plugs, I replaced them. This improved the performance, in that it started and traveled, but it will intermittantly stop, as soon as the starter button is depressed, it will start and fly, it does not sputter, or act as if there were cylinders dropping out. Sometimes it will run like this, and there will be periods of as long as three or four minutes of flawless high speed operation and then it will just die out. Then, just as suddenly, it will only start and operate for twenty or thirty seconds. I just wanted to drop all of you a line to see what kind of suggestions you all have. I am starting to lean toward an electrical problem, possibly a CDI. I have read the posting that explains the PVL ignition box (mine is podded black) and the stator assembly. This engine appears to be completely stock. It was operating fine and then, Bam, it just started this. Sorry for the long winded description...any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    generator guy, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

The first thing I would check for is an engine seizure just to make sure it's not something big.
    Are you getting any flashing red lamps on the MFD?
    Does the MFD operate?
    Do you have to let it cool off before it re-starts?
    Does it seem to turn over just a little slow when restarting?
    How is the hose between the water box and exhaust pipe?
    Have you checked the screen for the water inlet to the engine?

Just a couple of things to check I'm sure others will have some ideas as well.

1050 problem

Thanks for the resonse. The engine turns freely when the problem occurs, and the water line is clear and appears to be cooling as it should. The MFD does not operate at all and I am currently trying to locate one. I have bid on a few on E bay, but I have not been successful.
    As far as the problem goes, the engine turns and quickly starts and then misses or dies after about 30 seconds to sometimes minutes. It is almost as if the kill button has been hit. If it is at speed, it will seem as if it is shut off, but it does not always die completley. I can feather the throttle and get it to continue to run, but not always. It is very intermittant and unpredictalbe. I wish that it would just completely break so that I can find the problem. I have removed the carbs. and inspected them, they are clean. I didn't see any problems with the diaphrams or seals. The jets are all clear and the needle and seat are fine. I checked to see if the reed valves were operating properly and I believe that they are fine. Since I can find no obvious problems in the fuel system. I am wondering about the ignition system. I have read on the forum that the stator can be a problem if it is not an updated one. I do not know enough about the history of my boat to know if I have an updated stator or not. I do not like the Buy and Try method of troubleshooting and will continue to be patient and find the answer. I appreciate your help and will keep you updated as to the progress, which will be slow due to the fact that it is at the lake and unfortunately, I have to be at work most of the time. In reading the in the forums, I can see that you guys are the experts. I thank you again for any advice that you may have.

+1
    Can you get us a number off the CDI? If so, we can tell you if the unit has been updated.
    When it fails you can perform the stator test as found in our tech section.
    Have you got an inline tester where you can verify if spark gets erratic compared to "normal"? They are only a few bucks and will definately help to verify a spark issue.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

SL1050

Might Try Bypassing The Fuel Shutoff Switch

1050 problem revisited

It has been a while since I posted. I have brought the beast back home now that it is getting colder. I was sitting in the easy chair today and I have taken the week off for the holiday, and decided to get out there and try to spot the trouble with it. The last time I rode this thing it ran for three hours with no trouble, and then it just stopped. I was pretty upset at the time, because when I go to the lake, it is time to play and relax. Since I bought the Polaris, all I do at the lake now is work on the freakin ski. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working on it, but my family gets a little frustrated with me. So, when it broke down the last time...I vowed to get rid of it. I put it back in storage and finished out the weekend with the boat and pulled the kids with a tube. I didn't believe that the problem was electrical, i just kept coming back to the "Keep it simple" rule. So, I pulled the fuel lines and water seperator and didn't find any problem. The tank was half full, so I drained the fuel and removed the fuel level sensor/ pick up assembly, and noticed that it was sealed with a rubbery type of orange silicone. As I looked into the tank, I noticd that some of that material was in the tank directly under where the fuel pick up tube would be. I blew air through the tub and I saw a piece of this material blow out. I removed the tank and cleaned it thoroughly. I put it back togehter and I believe that it will operate properly. Thanks for all of the posts.

Might be a good idea to check/clean the carbs while you are at it.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Good Deal, Basics,They're easy to overlook.

+1
    Righteous, that's actually a pretty hard find and usually one of the last things checked, nice find!!

+1
    P.S.Thanks for posting your find, it'll help others in the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information