Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jug Inspector

SLT upgrades: Trim/etc

Ok, so I've decided that I like the SLT750 more than the SL. Maybe it's becuase I'm a tank at 250lbs... and this one stays put. The SL porpoises out of control and I can almost never hit top speed even with an OP rideplate and a DG scoop grate. It's faster but pointless becuase I need glass to ride on and the handlebars all up in my business to keep the front end down. The SLT stays loaded, I can top it out, is only 4 mph slower than the SL (the grate and ride plate that supposedly was to make it rock-solid scrubbed about 5mph total off it), has reverse, takes the chop a million times better at speed, has tons of space to work on it, can easily ride 2 people, and I can still throw it around. All I need is to make some small advances in the speed and control dept. and I'll be a really happy camper.

How hard is it to install a trim system on the SLT? Is it as straight-forward as taking the pump out, cutting a hole with a hole-saw, putting it in, and using a set of SL controls for it? Or will the linkage get in the way of the reverse?

How much would an R&D top-loader help?

How much would a 4 degree wedge help? Maybe skip the trim and just go for the wedge?

Is there a big difference with the reed spacers?

Already done: Oil block-off and triple-outlet (obviously)

Other plans: F/A's, V-force's, wedge, cutting the manifold for the center cyl, MAYBE if I can talk to my buddy about making a set of triples for it (Thanks PH for the port maps...indispensible) or maybe skip the trips and go with the 92 dry and 785 CDI? Of course the impeller for all that stuff...

Throwing ideas and cash around... any and all info appreciated.

Bryan

+1
    The 3 seater hull has always out performed the 2 seaters when it comes to ugly water and bigger riders.
    I'm running late but I'm sure you'll get lots of good tips on this one.

Jug Inspector
    So I just read Beer's 30-page SLT project.. tons of fun stuff there.

Anyone tried stuffing a Polaris Ultra (sled) engine into one of these? Or a set of XCR800 jugs? I think the bottom-end is the same as the SL fuji triples.... maybe toss just the jugs on and drill the tops of the cases to allow water flow, route it into a set of custon pipes. I'll check stroke... But I still end up with an engine that is designed for high-hp up top and not much down low. I wonder if it would have enough to even be rideable. And the operating RPM is above 8k with pipes. These Polaris pumps start to lose efficiency around 9k right?

Or just some porting, dry pipe, 785 cdi and run with it. This is easier, just less fun....

Bryan

+1
    The sl and slt bottom ends are similar to the storm snowmobile bottom ends, but are still not quite the same. Very different than the ultra.

Jug Inspector
    Bummer... looks like dry pipe/785 cdi in my future.

Bryan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    So I just read Beer's 30-page SLT project.. tons of fun stuff there.

Anyone tried stuffing a Polaris Ultra (sled) engine into one of these? Or a set of XCR800 jugs? I think the bottom-end is the same as the SL fuji triples.... maybe toss just the jugs on and drill the tops of the cases to allow water flow, route it into a set of custon pipes. I'll check stroke... But I still end up with an engine that is designed for high-hp up top and not much down low. I wonder if it would have enough to even be rideable. And the operating RPM is above 8k with pipes. These Polaris pumps start to lose efficiency around 9k right?

Or just some porting, dry pipe, 785 cdi and run with it. This is easier, just less fun....

Bryan
    Porting also makes the sled engine undesirable for the watercraft.
    I'd go the simple bolt ons
    Rec ported cylinders
    Dome Covers
    Reeds and Spacers
    Carb Mods
    Impeller to Match Mods
    OP ride plate
    R&D shortwing intake grate
    785 CDI
    Short Pipe Would be cool
    Flame Arrestors

Jug Inspector
    Anyone ever tried using an extra pump section as an extended pump?

Bryan

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    Anyone ever tried using an extra pump section as an extended pump?

Bryan
    No, but the impeller clearances are real tight when you grind down the vanes. Also the pump has 2 male ends on it, the spacer has 1 male and 1 female. I've got a modified 750 exhaust manifold already, if you want to try it and let us know if there's a noticeable difference in power. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jug Inspector
    I appreciate the offer, but that item on the list is going to be the second-to-the-last thing I do. I won't be working on the SLT too much over the next 2 weeks, I have another project coming. After that, the SLT is being partially torn down to get some go-fast stuff. If you want to wait that long, I'll be more than willing to give it a shot.

Final plans are some mild porting (w/polished exhaust port), partial removal of the middle divider on the exhaust manifold, cases ported and stuffed, if I can find an OP one-piece head, triple pissers, 92-93 dry pipe, 785 CDI, a custom ignition coil setup, chokes removed and primer installed, V-force reeds, reed spacers, SLX one-piece flame arrestor, blueprint the pump, R&D top-loader, trim system, and 4 degree wedge.

I'm not sold on the OP ride plate, seeing as it scrubbed a ton of speed off my SL and didn't really help that much. Besides the SLT handles a million times better in stock form. The R&D should help keep it loaded.. if it gets bouncy I'll toss on my OP-R or maybe some trim tabs. If I get ambitious or we have another no-snow winter I'll look into some triples.

Basically it's a culmination of all the fun stuff everyone has done to their 750's, but in one single unit.

Bryan

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That's pretty much what my SL 780 is set up for. Except a PSI dry pipe and Vortex F/A's. Everything else is identical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information