Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

3 bolts sheard off on intake grate.

Well I took my 2000 GPR out for the first time after installing a new R&D ride plate and intake grate and ppk. I also put in a new Solas 13/19. Anyway she ran great for about an hour and a half I was jumping some small waves got the ski out of the water after that she would hit about 35-40 mph it started bogging. I checked for seaweed, none, and let it cool down for about five minutes and headed back she would again take off fine but start bogging around 35-40. I got back and noticed my intake grate was really loose. I rolled her over and there was 3 bolts sheared off and part of the ppk was hanging up in there.

So would this cause it to bog (loose intake) and what should I do about the bolts? Drill and easy-out?

I know I cranked the bolts down very hard when I put the intake on, I never used a torque wrench before and I thought I knew what I was doing.

+1
    Seams like every time I pull my grate a bolt breaks... i do use red loctite and torgue it to spec... they usaully come out pretty easy and I would say yes this could be your cavitation / loss of power thing..

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what exact size that bolt is. I believe its a 6mm but not sure how long? I just have a problem spending $2.50 a bolt at the Yamaha dealer when I can get it a the local hardware store for $0.50.

+1
    I've had a couple of stock intake bolts shear during torquing.
    I replace them every time I remove the grate and I
    use stainless steel bolts from the hardware store.
    Those have never sheared

+1
    Go to a place like Tacoma screw or mcmastercarr.com you can buy bulk... I think SS is not as strong as heat treated??

+1
    My rear bolts sheared off Sunday, lost a race to a RXP because of it! I was down 10 mph on my gps, pulled the boat on the trailer and found the rear of the grate hanging down. I had just installed new bolts the day before and noticed they were made in taiwan. So now its going to be grade 8 bolts only for me. It ruined a whole day of riding.

+1
    I upgraded all my bolts to 316 SST Allen caps they are bullet proof I use them on the tabs, rideplate, pump shoe and intake grate. Much stronger than oem and will not rust.

Thanks guys, ok so I went to sears and bought the "drill-out" power extractor. I bought the the set that was made for 6mm-12mm bolts. The 10 mm just seems big, I mean like no room or error. Should I use the 8mm instead? I'm just worried about drilling a hair off center and it catching the female threads. Sorry to take so much time, I don't want to mess things up any worse than they are. Also they are 10mm bolts but they are 2 different leanths, any body know what size?

+1
    the bolts are 6mm? I believe heads are 10mm socket? use the smallest extractor possible and work your way up. grind the end of the broken bolt flat if you can to reduce the tendency for your dill to drift use small drill bits and step up if needed.

Always use a torque wrench. They are only torqued at 5.1 Lbs which is next to nothing.

Use pipe sealant on the treads. Red or Blue loctite will break them almost everytime. Specs are LT 572.

The intake grate is not something to install incorrectly. You all have been lucky - if it had come off at speed the results could really bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information