Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: water in oil

water in oil

My question is, is it normal to have a little bit of water getting into the oil? I don't see any water in the sump, but when I look at the threads on the oil dipstick, they have some of that milky looking oil on it. I had this same thing happen with my old yamaha 4-stroke, too. Is it normal?

+1
    no. time for a warranty visit, imo.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Not normal at all.

Are you sure its not condensation? If your oil is not black looking and only oil it’s a cause for a trip to the dealer. Honda uses a bubbler PVC system and it causes the oil to look black and fuel contaminated, but this is not a problem.

Any sign of water is though. I would watch it closely.

sg

Yesterday, I was flushing the ski and when I was finished I checked the oil level. When I unscrewed the dipstick, there was a "milky" looking substance on the threads of the dipstick.

I attached a picture of what I am talking about. If you look at the dipstick, you will see a little milky substance on the black part. Maybe it seeped in through the o ring on the dipstick? I am not talking about tons of water, just that. Could that be condensation, Nitro? Maybe I am just being over paranoid. I also heard that on some four strokes that when flushing you can have too much water pressure and the water could flow from the exhaust into the combustion chamber while the motor is on. Is this true? I have the pisser flowing when I am flushing at about a two foot squirt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	713.9 KB 
ID:	26373  
    Last edited by baba booey; 05-29-2007 at 10:42 PM.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    great post, but you are being a little paranoid their, i would not worry about that.

For as flushing.

It depends on the flow of the water source. The F12x turbo waterbox is huge, I calculate about 4.32 gals.. it remains about 1/3 full when running so if the engine stalled. It would take about 2.05 mins to fill the waterbox.. but then it needs to reach the motor which is about 1.5 more gallons..

... with the average water flow of 7 GPM it would take at least 3mins to reach the cylinders..

Thats a pretty good calc.. Your hose should be close to 65 PSI max and my numbers will be about that

I just wanted to make sure. Paranoid is right. You know how it is, when you drop coin on something, you want to make sure it is going to last. When I shined the flashlight in the oil tank, the oil did look a little dark, too. Thanks Nitro, I am going to take it to the dealer still for that stupid clock issue I spoke to you about a few weeks ago. I read in the service manual, that the GPS receiver automatically adjusts the clock according to GPS time. I am thinking something must be off with that. Thanks again... Also, I just had my pressure regulator replaced in my home. I am now running 55 psi of garden hose pressure.

+1
    dang, your eyes are better than mine.

my first car was 63 chevyII milky foamy oil..now that's a water/oil problem.. you can always send a sample off for oil analysis but if nitro says it's good then you can bank on it.

ive seen a few exhaust mnaifolds that were cracked in the cooling jacket, i work a t a honda shop. replacing the manifold has fixed three skis that were letting water into the oil on the hose or in the water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by faster7581 View Post
    ive seen a few exhaust mnaifolds that were cracked in the cooling jacket, i work a t a honda shop. replacing the manifold has fixed three skis that were letting water into the oil on the hose or in the water
    good to know..thanks for the post..anything else you see more than once?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information