Amphibious ATV's - Looking for info on Berkley 5J5 CCW jet pump

Hello, my name is Joe. I had a SeaDoo back in the mid 80's. It was difficult to coordinate Northeast Ohio weather, Lake Erie conditions and a work schedule so, I never got the anticipated use from it. Been and still am into Amphib's. The reason I joined this site is that I'm looking for some advice on my next project.

I'm building (restoring) an old fiberglass hull Hustler 880. These were optionally available back in the day with a Jet Pump for water propulsion. I have two specimens, neither of which was purchased with the pump option however, the frames are built to accommodate the pump as is the lower tub.

I have a pump that was removed from an old Hustler. It is a Berkley 5J5 CCW. I do not want to install it until I'm certain it's 100% functional. The only way I can justify to myself that it is in fact usable is to disassemble it for inspection and then put er back together with new seals,etc. This is where I'm STUCK.

I've been looking for a few years now for any available information without much success. I found some basic literature about them on a few other sites but nothing showing an exploded, etc view of the unit so I can try and disassemble it without damaging anything.

If anyone has any information about these units I would certainly appreciate all input.

Thank you for reading.
    Joe.

Beginning to get UNstuck,lol. I'm going to head down to the arbor press as soon as I'm done writing this. I've looked over this forum and there are many similarities to one of the 6 wheeler sites I frequent so I think I'll be able to upload pics when I get this thing apart. As soon as I'm a little more confident that I know what I'm talking about I will try and get some more/better info about this 5J5 pump posted.

Thanks for reading,
    Joe.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    pumps have come a long way maybe you should transplant a newer jet ski tunnel into the boat. it will be a lot cheaper

Thank you Glenozzy, that is some good advice and I agree 100%. However, this is a labor of love as opposed to just gettin' another toy in the box. I'm rebuilding a piece of history and would like to keep it as original as possible for a few reasons. One of them being that the frame and the lower tub ("hull") were designed and built to accommodate the 5J5 which was the unit available to the engineers at that time. I think clicking on this pic should redirect to my album.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/album.php?albumid=4745

Thanks for reading.

Joe.

Last edited by 6x6; 04-20-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Thread Information