Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rode my first RXP yesterday and.....

I wasn't real impressed. Clayton/torquephoto let me take his stage 2 75mph RXP for a spin. My first impression was I don't like the narrow handlebars at all, I know 07's are wider. After I started it and took off I was impressed with the smooth power. As I rode along I was a little uncomfortable with the high seating position but felt I could get used to it. Then I decided to try a turn, OMG talk about an uneasy feeling! I would term it oversteer, very twitchy and to make matters worse very little "road feel". I headed back and opened it up on smooth water, impressive power but doesn't seem to have the snap of my ported 1200 pv motor. Maybe it just seemed that way because the power comes on very smooth but I was holeshotting him . When hitting waves I was a little uncomfortable but felt I could get used to it maybe. All in all an impressive powerplant but unimpressive hull and I couldn't wait to get back on my stage 2 GPR. I insisted that Clayton take my GPR for a ride when I got back and his first words to me when returning were "confidence building". That's pretty much it in a nutshell, you pretty much know what the GPR is going to do and you feel as though you have full input on the situation. The problem I had with my short ride on the RXP is that it felt just the opposite and I've ridden many different skis. I'm sure it would get better with more ride time but I now know why I'm seeing all these RXP engines go into GPR hulls. Didn't post this to start a pissin match, just wanted to share as I know myself and many other GPR owners have considered an RXP purchase. Before you do, ride one.
    Last edited by VOODOO; 05-29-2007 at 07:27 PM.

+1
    Voodoo, I had the same expirience this wkend. I rode my first RXP, Vic's (VMAN) '07. I found it twitchy as well. The smooth power is nice but I got no feel for the water. If the bars where more narrow I would have hated it!

I found the RXP to be more stable at slower speeds (off plane to 30mph on plane). Going under low bridges I was able to watch Vic, on my GPR, chine walk at ~20mph. This is a HUGE advantage at the newbie test ride but it's not a fair trade off for high speed stability/feel.

I love the GPR but I see a YamaDoo in my future.

+1
    Guys, a properly set up stage 2 rxp will handle very nicely and predictable.

My stage 2 was wonderful through the chop and turned quite good. Never did anything scary. I raced that ski multiple times and was very comfortable.

Now the gprxp is simply fast, even with a stock motor the midrange pull is something to behold.

+1
    I had two GPRs and now have ridden my RXP going on 3 summers. All skis need a few things to be optimal ... my RXP has handle bar extensions, finger throttle, grate, and RE blockoffs. It is no longer twitchy in the least ... it is a very settled, solid ride, extremely predictable and very fast and reliable. The reason the RXP gets bad handling reviews is due to BRP putting the stupid OPAS on it ... remove it, and it is better, but you must go further and fill the OPAS voids with the RE blockoffs to. You THEN have a 'complete hull' ... and the ski handles sooooo much better.

I still ride my brothers GPR at times, but I much prefer riding my RXP now. To each their own, but to compare fairly you have to first address each ski's shortcomings ... once you do that, both skis handle very well IMO.

Point taken, this one does not have the RE blockoffs yet.

+1
    I wouldn't be disappointed owning either- I like both. I ordered the RE's for mine before I even had the ski. I told Steach that I would not even make a call on the ski until I at least got the RE's and a grate on it.

I have never ridden a completely stock GPR- so I can't comment on the short comings of them.

I can say that Steach's GPR was a mile or two faster than my stock RXP and had overall better handling characteristics.

One thing I was a little surprised about was how thirsty the GPR was.

I hope the RE's and grate do as much for the RXP as everyone says...

+1
    Hell, I'm still trying to decide if I made a mistake ditching the RXT...

+1
    Vic, will the REs be in before you head to MB? I'll need to make it back to steach beach for a test.

+1
    This is a good thread.

I am on the edge of buying an RXP is my wife's GPR sells. If down the road we don't like it, atleast I'll have the internals for a conversion.

+1
    My buddy has an 07, with REs, bar extensions, and finger throttle. I love the accelleration, though I miss the snap of the 2 strokes. You can tell its a heavy ski, the hull feels a bit sluggish. I would not feel comfortable charging into 2' rollers with this boat like on the GPR.

And it just sits up a little too high for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information