1996 900 zxi piston markings

so my 96 zxi made some nasty noises last season and shut off. Did a compression test and the cylinder closest to the front (#1 or #3?) had low compression. Finally got time to pull the head yesterday and the low compression piston appears to have eaten up a ring. No big deal, Iíll do top end. However now im wondering 2 things;
    1: the tops of the pistons say 1.00. Does this mean they are 1mm over?
    2: the blown piston is very dry. The good pistons are nice and oily but the one with bad rings almost looks dusty. Do i have a carb problem which starved it for fuel and killed it? Oil injection is deleted and i premix the gas with maxima oil.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77CBC4D1-DEE1-4332-AD07-009AF29029B7.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	431505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	274D6D0C-947B-461B-997F-57868EEB3B81.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	431506  

+1
    Looks like you dodged a bullet and the piston didn't come apart. '1.00' probably does mean 1 mm over, but I would check bore diameter with a micrometer before ordering pistons. #1 is the cylinder in the front.

You probably have a carb problem or an air leak. Converting to pre-mix is NOT foolproof, as a lot of people think. If the carb gets plugged, you still run out of oil.

+1
    Correct me if i'm wrong guys, but looks like rust on #1 cyl wall.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    Yes for sure. Thats why im wondering if the carb clogged and ran dry

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Looks like you dodged a bullet and the piston didn't come apart. '1.00' probably does mean 1 mm over, but I would check bore diameter with a micrometer before ordering pistons. #1 is the cylinder in the front.

You probably have a carb problem or an air leak. Converting to pre-mix is NOT foolproof, as a lot of people think. If the carb gets plugged, you still run out of oil.
    The prior owner told me the oil system failed and it blew up. Thats why the oil system was deleted. He rebuilt it right before i bought it from him. I know premix isnt guaranteed either. I like when it smokes alot though haha. Whats the stock bore on these again? 73mm?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    I saw that and figured it might be rust due to the 'dry' cylinder.

+1
    Yes, 73mm. I love it. The old "The oil system failed, so I deleted it", when in actuality, it was prob. a line broke or came off from age or not tied back on after a carb R&R. If it was me, I would get the parts and reinstall the system. I might even have a tank you can have.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
    The prior owner told me the oil system failed and it blew up. Thats why the oil system was deleted. He rebuilt it right before i bought it from him. I know premix isnt guaranteed either. I like when it smokes alot though haha. Whats the stock bore on these again? 73mm?
    I must add that if a carb gets plugged on a Kawasaki with oil injection, you still run dry. That's why I've converted my 2-strokes to the Yamaha system that injects the oil into the carburetor throat. They use inline pop-off valves to prevent oil draining during storage. The discharge port must be above the throttle blade.

Thanks for all the great info guys i really appreciate it. Even offering free parts, what a great forum! I finally got around to measuring the bore and they are all 74mm. So its definitely bored over by 1mm.
    As for fixing the oil injection system, i have to see whats missing. Im not familiar with oil injection. I come from a dirtbike backround. Why do these skis fail so much more often than outboards?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
    Why do these skis fail so much more often than outboards?
    I don't know that they do, really. I've towed a number of boats in that had broken down, and I've seen a lot at the boat ramp that wouldn't start.

There is a lot to be said for lack of use. A lot of PWCs and boats only get used a couple of times per year. Fuel goes bad, corrosion and dirty electrical connections appear. Use it or lose it!

Thread Information