Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1st post Big oops

I have a 99 genesis with fuel injection. I pulled the spark plugs and turned her over untill there was NO moister comming out of the spark plug holes. I then decided to put the plugs in and fire her up. That is when cylinder #3 didn't like me much. It blew up the jug. piston and conecting rod look ok but the out side of the jug is JUNK. after pulling the jug off the crank had alot of water in it. I sucked out the water and put some 2 stroke oil in it to prevent any rust.

Here is my main question. Do I
    1. get a new jug and piston and go on?
    2. get a cylinder exchange from swb which means buying a new jug just to send it to them for the exchange
    3. ???????????????????????????

Thanks for your time.
    Shawn
    Last edited by texoma; 05-29-2007 at 11:15 PM.

+1
    Shawn, WELCOME to the Green Hulk forums!!!

The first thing I would do is check the crank index to make sure the crank is not damaged. If the crank/rod are out of index or bent you're done and will need a new/rebuilt engine.
    Open the electrical box and see if water penetrated the seal.
    I'd check to see if water entered the MAG housing as well.
    Good Luck and let us know what you find.

ok there was water in the black electrical box. am I screwed yet?? whats the mag housing and where is it located?? I did it tonight.

If there was enough water in the motor to "blow up" the jug, the crank is most likely damaged...twisted/rod bent/rod bearings crushed. There was a brand new 1200 cylinder on ebay for $50 earlier today, but the auction was due to end tonight. New/rebuilt crank is roughly $700. Some crank shops will replace/rebuild only the worn parts, which will save you some $$$. If you've only damaged the PTO rod, you're looking at closer to $350. If you plan on salvaging that crank, you'd be wise to get it out of the cases and completely dry and re-oil it.

+1
    Try to blow the electronics dry or at least air dry. The bottom of the electrical board is going to hide some water droplets, try to dry it out.
    The MAG housing sits at the front of the engine and is a little tricky to remove but when the boats take on that much water they can take out a stator. If you have compressed air, I'd remove the inspection plate at top or remove the PS (if fuel injected) and blow air, checking for water.

I was looking at the SBT website and if I did the cylinder exchange and a rebuilt crank, Im only a few hundred short of a rebuilt motor. I bought this thing for a grand 2 years ago with some minor problems. Me and the kids love to ride it but not sure I should sink 1700 into it. We have a seadoo, but love taking both out. Guess I need to do some soul searching.

+1
    Well, I hate to say this but I hope you decide to sell it and I hope you're close to me. I have this beautiful 1200 just dyeing to drop into something interesting.

what you give me for it?? I'm in North TX. LOL it's hard to say whats it worth. I know parting it out will bring more money, but I really dont have time for that. although with a new motor I would only have 2500 into it v.s. buying a supercharged seadoo.

+1
    Bit far for me, BUT damn.............I'd love to have one of those bad boys.

How do I make sure the crank is not twisted?? Is it #2 at TDC and measure 1 and 3 to see if they are the same?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information