Thread: xp pro

+1

xp pro

Anybody know of a good source for a new computer using xp pro operating system, new billing software in my office is only compatible with xp pro
    thanks

I am a bit biased, but I would go with the Dell Latitude series. These are our business machines and you can still get XP Pro on these. Depending on the screen size you want, I would go with the 630 or 830. Both are very good. If you have any other questions, let me know.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...bsd&sort=price

Banned User
    +1
    you can always custom build a machine...

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by 01XLT1200 View Post
    I am a bit biased, but I would go with the Dell Latitude series. These are our business machines and you can still get XP Pro on these. Depending on the screen size you want, I would go with the 630 or 830. Both are very good. If you have any other questions, let me know.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...bsd&sort=price
    I absolutely disagree. Dell is currently being sued for not having tech support actually be tech support. They asked some old lady to take hers apart and start troubleshooting. AND when you call to ask for help, you're transferred to INDIA where they treat YOU like a moron, asking you things like "Have you tried turning your computer on?" instead of listening to what you're telling them is wrong with it. They just read from a script.

My take? Find a Micro Center or Tiger Direct by you (or order online) they have their own brand of computers, they're warrantied, and you can mix and match what you do and do not want (keyboard, printer, moniter, etc). Plus they're cheap. Possibly find a computer-geek friend and have him/her build one? Or go to overstock.com and get one from there. Any of the options I mentioned can get you a complete with mouse, keyboard, moniter, printer and everything for under $400. NEW. Even less for a refurb or used.

Bryan

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    I absolutely disagree. Dell is currently being sued for not having tech support actually be tech support. They asked some old lady to take hers apart and start troubleshooting. AND when you call to ask for help, you're transferred to INDIA where they treat YOU like a moron, asking you things like "Have you tried turning your computer on?" instead of listening to what you're telling them is wrong with it. They just read from a script.

My take? Find a Micro Center or Tiger Direct by you (or order online) they have their own brand of computers, they're warrantied, and you can mix and match what you do and do not want (keyboard, printer, moniter, etc). Plus they're cheap. Possibly find a computer-geek friend and have him/her build one? Or go to overstock.com and get one from there. Any of the options I mentioned can get you a complete with mouse, keyboard, moniter, printer and everything for under $400. NEW. Even less for a refurb or used.

Bryan

Yea, find a geek friend...or even better yet, if you have a company with IT support guys (like me), hit them up. They ( I mean WE) always know where the best place to get cheap reliable computers from. If you have the software, any current PC hardware is capable of reliable use...

Slip your local work IT guy a few bucks, and they can build you a PC with all the toys in it, because they have access to all the good software (he he he).....thats how I make some money on the side!

Jug Inspector
    Danny, I work IT as well... and I've built systems for people for years. I was just poking fun at myself while putting it in terms they'll get.

Bryan

If you want to waste your time buying all the parts and loading all the software, build your own. If you want a good system with everything loaded, buy a Dell. If you need a desktop, get an Optiplex. Don't be a cheap ass and get the basic support. If you get Business level Gold support, it's awesome. You have a dedicated phone number to an American, Level 2 Technician.

Unfortunately I can't speak about the lawsuit. Every company is going to have issues and lawsuits against them. Dell's seem to get blown out of proportion and overplayed.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    Danny, I work IT as well... and I've built systems for people for years. I was just poking fun at myself while putting it in terms they'll get.

Bryan
    Yea, I just built a system for a guy in our office...he wanted a machine for simple surfing, doing his ebay selling, but something with power to run a game......So I gave him a list of crap to buy from newegg.com, since he had money sitting in paypal. Maybe $500 in parts total...Had everything shipped to the office , built it last week using our corporate copies of EVERYTHING, XP, Office, Anti-virus, the works ......Thing is nice, I had it running all weekend...

My cost? A round of Pizza's for me and my IT team for last friday and tomorrow....SWEET!

And the best part is, he's the head of HR !!!

Thread Information