Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Finished oil change. When rxt goes in water it dies.

Oil change took longer first time due to some issues, next time should be better. The oil I took out look like sh*t. The seadoo RXT 05 (70hrs) hangs in the air on my lift and I ran it in intervals a bunch of times letting it idle (while cooling the exhaust with water). Then I checked oil level and everything looks good.

At this point I lowered it in the water to give her a test run - when the propeller gets in the water the rpms drop. In a few moments the engine dies. When trying to start it again in the water it will not fully turn on. I took it out of the water, let it sit for a bit and started it in the air again - no problem. The exact same thing happens, it dies when in the water.

I started getting freaked thinking that maybe my s/c clutch is dead and thats why it can idle in the air. Well, I put my fingers up into the fins to see if the clutch washers were broken and to my luck the s/c will not spin. Actually it won't budge at all so I am really happy about that.

Any idea why it dies when in the water?

do you have ceramic washers? if so get them out asap

Banned User
    +1
    how much oil is in it now?

Just as in the 'first 10min was ok' thread.. took out the ski again today, the rpm would jump around and the ride was uneasy at first. then on open water tried to accelerate, which was choppy getting it to get going, and then it would not get over 45mph.
    Obviously the clutch is finished. And yes, I still was riding stock ceramic washers.

After the oil change this was going to be the next thing I do (replacing the washers). ANYWAY..

After the RXT cools I will get my hand into the sc unit again and see if the fins will spin freely or not. Last night it was still unmovable. How many of these washers are there that break off and start swimming in the oil? Is it possible that they just started to loosen up and not break off yet? Or is it an all or nothing type of thing, whereby one minute its functioning ok then the next its totally f'd up? Whats the consensus as to turning on the machine, should I not even start it anymore b/c it will just cause more damage?

I don't know what my best method of taking care of this is. My RXT is on my dock and I don't have a trailer to get it into the dealers service dept thats way inland. Second, whenever I stop by my local Naples Seadoo shop or speak to them over the phone they've explicitly demonstrated they know very little as to what they are doing. Small stupid repairs have been messed up, I can only imagine them handling this. I spoke to them last week that I had a feeling my s/c was soon to be finished and I asked them what they can do to prevent it from doing major harm- they said they don't know and want to take a look at it.

Anyway, to what extent is it a decisive factor whether the s/c spins freely right now or not? I will post in a few minutes the results, but before looking into the innerds is there any other way to speculate whats necessary to replace etc?

Thanks for any help.

Havent gotten to the sc yet, but I called up the local dealer anyway just to setup a dockside appointment. $50 for a service call and $85 for an i&r as I would like to see what type of an estimate they will give for the work.

This will be interesting. The guy coming out to do the inspection will be their only mobile mechanic who's been with them for 10yrs who took 2 hours to replace my rxt's cracked reverse flap. Not to mention he forgot some of the parts that day and needed to come back.

If anyone here knows of a qualified mechanic in the southwest florida area please do let me know.

Update:
    So the s/c still is sitting tight and I can not get it to spin.

Judging by the symptoms mentions earlier, would this mean that the clutch is 'starting' to slip but the washers are still semi-their? I have no idea wtf is going on.

Spoke to the dealer again anyway letting him know my point of view. Told him to go ahead with the inspection anyway but that I want his tech to take out the s/c unit after he is done. The manager asks me why, and I told him that I will install the metal washers. At this point he says he has to speak to someone whether they find it alright that a 3rd party will be installing something into the seadoo. lol.

I told him that I found this amusing and that I would love to see what they report to be the issue of my choppy rpms and low speed, but one way or another I will be installing metal washers. He than asks, 'What if that is not causing the issue?' I tell him, "Thats why I want your inspection and report, but I am surprised you are is not aware of the ceramic washers breaking." He corrects me stating that he knows of the stock washer failure rate and he blatantly tells me that it was a mistake of mine to buy seadoo due to repair issues and they only recommend honda & kawasakis. I then ask whether the dealer would install metal washers for me and he says no.

Funny guys. I bet he is pissed that I won't let the s/c completely fry and then add this rxt to his shops 'rebuild' list. x

Back to the issue though, so should I feel confident that the washers are starting to fail and in fact are not floating about the engine since the s/c does not rotate freely?

ps sorry for the long topic that you guys see everyday
    ive just really been freaked out the last few days about this whole thing
    Last edited by acesea; 05-31-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acesea View Post
    Just as in the 'first 10min was ok' thread.. took out the ski again today, the rpm would jump around and the ride was uneasy at first. then on open water tried to accelerate, which was choppy getting it to get going, and then it would not get over 45mph.
    Obviously the clutch is finished. And yes, I still was riding stock ceramic washers.

Thanks for any help.
    i hate to say it but you are in my steps....http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24901

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by acesea View Post
    Update:
    So the s/c still is sitting tight and I can not get it to spin.

Judging by the symptoms mentions earlier, would this mean that the clutch is 'starting' to slip but the washers are still semi-their? I have no idea wtf is going on.

Spoke to the dealer again anyway letting him know my point of view. Told him to go ahead with the inspection anyway but that I want his tech to take out the s/c unit after he is done. The manager asks me why, and I told him that I will install the metal washers. At this point he says he has to speak to someone whether they find it alright that a 3rd party will be installing something into the seadoo. lol.

I told him that I found this amusing and that I would love to see what they report to be the issue of my choppy rpms and low speed, but one way or another I will be installing metal washers. He than asks, 'What if that is not causing the issue?' I tell him, "Thats why I want your inspection and report, but I am surprised you are is not aware of the ceramic washers breaking." He corrects me stating that he knows of the stock washer failure rate and he blatantly tells me that it was a mistake of mine to buy seadoo due to repair issues and they only recommend honda & kawasakis. I then ask whether the dealer would install metal washers for me and he says no.

Funny guys. I bet he is pissed that I won't let the s/c completely fry and then add this rxt to his shops 'rebuild' list. x

Back to the issue though, so should I feel confident that the washers are starting to fail and in fact are not floating about the engine since the s/c does not rotate freely?

ps sorry for the long topic that you guys see everyday
    ive just really been freaked out the last few days about this whole thing

I don't think your SC is the problem.. I mean ceramic washers are a problem but not yours.. When you drop your washers you don't always get a sign, they just go.
    If it dies when it hits water, it's gotta be something else. Ever tried running it on the hose? If not try. What RPM's are you turning at idle? Oil half way between the bends? No water on the plugs?

Banned User
    RPM's at WOT? If you lost your washers your RPM's should be around 6500RPM with speeds around 60-65

+1
    A couple of thoughts. How do the plugs look? Does your newly changed oil still look good? Is the fuel thats in the tank been in there all winter? (old gas maybe?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information