Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shot Solenoid?

+1

Shot Solenoid?

So the 1050 was running great yesterday, and then all of the sudden after a short break I went to take her out and it wouldnt start.

When hitting the start button, the MFD flashed a bunch of crazy stuff and the engine wouldnt crank over. I thought I could hear something though when I hit the start button. Sure enough, when you hit the start button there is a goofy hum sound coming from the electrical box.

Opened up the electrical box, everything looked brand new, all connections were fine, definitely sounds like the solenoid is making some wierd noises, and nothing is getting to the starter. Havent had a chance to do any electrical tests yet, but I am pretty sure its shot.

Thoughts?

+1
    Dead battery?? Have it load tested or use a known good battery or jumper box and see if it starts.
    If it does, replace or charge the battery and check the charging system.

+1
    Fresh charge on a one year old sealed battery. Showing 12.5 volts on MFD. Bilge, trim and mfd all functional.

+1
    By-pass the solenoid and see if the starter turns, if so we need to check the start/stop button and solenoid maybe.

+1
    Jump the solenoid with a big screwdriver, if that turns it over.......then unplug the yellow/red from the solenoid and touch it to the board where the red/purple wires are plugged in. Just tapping it onto the red/purple should give activate the solenoid, you won't have to plug it onto it.

If that doesnt turn it over, then your solenoid is shot. If it does turn it over.....test your start switch.

Also check all your grounds.

+1
    All the grounds seem to be fine.

Okay, I tried the screwdriver to jump it but all I got was sparks...I just place it between the red in from the battery and the red out to the starter right?

Also, when I unplug the red/yellow and touch it to the red/purple I get the same wierd sound I get when I press the start button.

+1
    bumpedy bump...any ideas?

+1
    I left a sticky under general, try me tomorrow night.

I got this from ph20, but to bypass the starter get a pair of little jumper cables. They make them for skis, snomobiles etc...cost me 8 bucks at Murray's. Disconnect your battery from the ski. Hook one of the black jumper to the engine to ground it and the other black end to the neg. battry post. Hook the red jumper to the red cable on the solenoid, the red cable off the solenoid that leads straight to the starter. Then hook the other end of the red jumper to your battery and you should hear your starter work. Your just bypassing everything and sending the juice straight to your starter. If your starter works it is probably the solenoid. Jay at Atlantic Powersports got me one new for 50 bucks. Here's the link to where ph20 explained it to me....

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27218

The solenoid will make noise when engaged but why don't you check your battery voltage with the start button pushed! I bet it drops too low I say that because your MFD is flipping out I'd critique the battery and triple check all connections! Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information