Too Much Power???

Hey guy's I have the Speedster with a long list of mods and it runs great BUT... When I nail it from a dead stop it will just sit there and spin the props like crazy. I have to baby it to get it going.. Now I know what your thinking my wear rings are bad. But there in great shape and almost new. the impellers are Solas 15/20R's. With the heat now in CT I'm turning 8200 or so and that's right where i want to be. In the cold it will turn 8400. What do you think? What can i do so it will hook up better?

Your cavitating, you need to get more water in the pumps. Maybe a different intake grate?

If your impellers and wear rings are good you are sucking air around the pump shoe. What speedster do you have? does it have one intake going to both pumps or two seperate intakes? Do both pumps cavatate about the same amount?
    Steve

Yeah it has two intakes. its a 2005 S200 speedster. There is no grates made for it. I have the stock grate on it which is no more than just fingers that block large sticks and other crap from going in the pump.... Would take them off but there is a lot of junk on the river we do our boating....

I would replace both pump supports and seal the new ones with the right stuff like there was no tomorrow. Not a real fun job but can make a hugh difference. Getting rid of the carbon seal setup would be a good idea as well. Either with the Rotax setup or another aftermarket setup.
    I dont know of anyone with this level of mods to check with but if you did all of the above and still had the same problem you would have answered your own question. Too much power- Yes.
    I personally feel you can fix it. A lot of the sport boats have air leaks at the pump support. Good luck!
    Steve

+1
    i heard the Rotax shaft seal is garbage...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the seal itself isn't garbage.... keeping the housing some slipping out of the hose is the issue... if you can do that, it's nothing new to PWCs

makes removing the driveshaft a dream tho compared to the dopy ass carbon seals

I would bet it is your prop. If you still have your OEM prop, put that on there and test.

Steve not to sound dumb but what or where is the pump support? is that the part that the pump housing bolts to?

Quote Originally Posted by friebe1 View Post
    I would replace both pump supports and seal the new ones with the right stuff like there was no tomorrow. Not a real fun job but can make a hugh difference. Getting rid of the carbon seal setup would be a good idea as well. Either with the Rotax setup or another aftermarket setup.
    I dont know of anyone with this level of mods to check with but if you did all of the above and still had the same problem you would have answered your own question. Too much power- Yes.
    I personally feel you can fix it. A lot of the sport boats have air leaks at the pump support. Good luck!
    Steve

Banned User
    with the weight of the boat and the power your putting down it gonna cavitate some.

Thread Information