Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air Intake Suffocate?

This past weekend after the waterbox mod. and bypassing the resonator my '06 RXP was running 8200 rpm and seemed to be the fastest I have had it yet. I was out today thrashing about and my ski was running fine also. After some wave jumping, my ski seemed to studder when I gave it throttle. This would only last for a few moments then it would run ok. This happened a couple times and then on a long WOT run I noticed the RPM's would not go above 7650. I popped the seat off and saw water under the motor and the gas tank, I also noticed that the pre-filter on my Riva Intake was also fairly wet, maybe from the bouncing around during jumping? I think that my air filter was wet enough to "choke" the motor of air. Does my theory sound correct? Where can I put the air filter to solve
    this? Is it normal to collect enough water to cause this to happen? I appreciate everyone's feedback!!!!

How much water is under the engine and gas tank ? I think thats what you should be solving first there shouldnt be that much water in there you might have a leak somewhere...

Enough to almost be at the top edge of where the "engine valley" ends. When I turn reallt sharp back and forth sometimes I get water that partially comes up over the front. I assume thats where the water comes from...anyone else with the same problem? I was also thinking maybe the TOPS valve is causing the sputtering after being bounced around, and maybe the water on the intake is causing the low RPM's. Any thoughts on this would be awesome...I want to GPS this machine since a few mods!!!

Make sure you have the exhaust tight exiting your waterbox. Last weekend when I went out to ride, I was riding for about 20 min. and lost the majority of my power. Could only run like 45 mph. Oh great I'm thinking. Got back to the dock and saw that my exhaust had pulled loose from the waterbox. This also allowed some water to get into the hull.

When this happened the ski got really sluggish and didn't want to idle by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
    Enough to almost be at the top edge of where the "engine valley" ends. When I turn reallt sharp back and forth sometimes I get water that partially comes up over the front. I assume thats where the water comes from...anyone else with the same problem? I was also thinking maybe the TOPS valve is causing the sputtering after being bounced around, and maybe the water on the intake is causing the low RPM's. Any thoughts on this would be awesome...I want to GPS this machine since a few mods!!!
    It must be more then that. ive ridden some preety rough stuff 8-10 foot swell gone thru waves underwaves the whole shibang and when i pulled her out it was still just a couple tablespoons of water uve probably got a leak somewhere

Sorry for the delay on this thread! I have the boat in the water right now with the seat and plastic removed trying to find out where the water is coming from. I have an idea of where but i'm not sure. In the rear of the boat there are 2 clear hoses that come from where the cooling line is and go to some yellow fittings, and the out to the back of the boat where the drain plugs are at. I am noticing during idle that there are pin sized holes in these "inline" yellow fittings that are spraying out a decent stream of water even at idle speeds. Why is this? Is that normal? I have not noticed any other sources of the problem, ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE would help!!!! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
    Sorry for the delay on this thread! I have the boat in the water right now with the seat and plastic removed trying to find out where the water is coming from. I have an idea of where but i'm not sure. In the rear of the boat there are 2 clear hoses that come from where the cooling line is and go to some yellow fittings, and the out to the back of the boat where the drain plugs are at. I am noticing during idle that there are pin sized holes in these "inline" yellow fittings that are spraying out a decent stream of water even at idle speeds. Why is this? Is that normal? I have not noticed any other sources of the problem, ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE would help!!!! Thanks a lot!
    THATS YOUR PROBLEM !!!! Get that hose replaced immiedatley it is NOT supose to leak while your working on ure ski replace all the zip ties with small worm clamps follow all the clear tubes make sure they are all connected to there fitting well and put a worm clamp on each connection 05's and older have 12 clamps 06's and newer have 8 zip ties. This thread explains whats happening

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24
    Last edited by ReDevilRXP; 06-06-2007 at 03:22 PM.

+1
    IMO the SeaDoo bailer setup is prone to putting water IN the boat as you noticed. The reason is the design - there is supposed to be suction due to the venturi effect with the water rushing out the jet pump and past the bailer tubes in the nozzle. BUT, the 'tubes' go up thru all the pump parts and into the hull, into those little clear hoses. The problem is that the pressure in the pump very easily forces its way past the parts/stages of the pump (pump to wedge to nozzle) and pushes water INTO the boat at some speeds (idle especially). The one way valves should help this, but they do not always stop it.

Compare this to the Yamaha siphon setup - the siphon tube fitting cuts into the nozzle from the side and goes straight into a tube, thru-hull fitting, and to the bottom of the hull. NO chance for the pump to force water into the siphon/bailer system, and it does NOT ever force water into the hull.

I actually did an experiment with this. Took my stock venturi nozzle, completely eliminated the bailer tubes and filled the twin holes in the nozzle with JB Weld. I then put the (in-hull) bailer tubes into pop cans, fired the ski and idled out. In about thirty seconds (at idle), the pop cans filled, due to water forcing its way between the jet pump and the nozzle even tho the nozzle tubes were filled solid.

I 100% eliminated my bailer setup and plugged every tube/tunnel and installed a bilge pump. Just my .02 ... For this type of siphon setup to be effective IMO, it needs seamless tubes/tunnels from the siphon tube(s) in the pump all the way to the in-hull bilge fittings.

THANKS VERN!!! i think that, believe it or not, that my one way valves are installed backwards?? anyone else have this problem? further testing will tell....i'll keep you posted!! thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information