Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So Glad I Pulled The Superchargers Off!!!!!

I pulled my chargers off Monday and headed down to Jerry's shop yesterday. First of all my 2006 S200 had the older 2005 blowers. The big catch was this boat has maybe 15-18 hours on it and the clutches were very weak. One was so weak Jerry could turn it by hand. This would explain why my rpms were rater low (7600-7700) and even more so as why one engine usually ran 200-300 lower then the other. I can only wonder how much heat this was building up and how close I was to failure. Parts showed a little wear but nothing major. Man with full boost and the new 4" intakes I should be at 8100-8200rpms so I may see some good speed outta this thing.

I want to give a huge thanks to Jerry for taking care of me so well. He's got a first class operation there and took the time to help me understand these superchargers.

Looking forward to Mud Bugs now!!!!!

while they're there . . .

Hey - you might as well have him put on those Green s/c impellers while they're there and opened up. Really make the most of those 4" intakes and counter the effects of those hot and humid months coming up.

Hey if jerry would have had them there it would have been very tempting. I tend to be impulsive. He still waiting on them to be finished up though. May think about doing that and impellors this winter.

Well at least its nice to see someone is learning from my suffering and taking precautionary measures, the boats clearly are NOT SAFE like we had hoped.

Paul which engine was lower in RPM's Port or Starboard? I'm thinking it's not the SC slip making it less RPM's. I know of a few other guys’ with the same issue. My SC on the starboard was like 40 inch pounds of slip and once I redid everything was still the same thing..... But I'll get it figured out!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed200 View Post
    I pulled my chargers off Monday and headed down to Jerry's shop yesterday. First of all my 2006 S200 had the older 2005 blowers. The big catch was this boat has maybe 15-18 hours on it and the clutches were very weak. One was so weak Jerry could turn it by hand. This would explain why my rpms were rater low (7600-7700) and even more so as why one engine usually ran 200-300 lower then the other. I can only wonder how much heat this was building up and how close I was to failure. Parts showed a little wear but nothing major. Man with full boost and the new 4" intakes I should be at 8100-8200rpms so I may see some good speed outta this thing.

I want to give a huge thanks to Jerry for taking care of me so well. He's got a first class operation there and took the time to help me understand these superchargers.

Looking forward to Mud Bugs now!!!!!

You know that's a very good question. I'm not a 100% sure but I think it was the starboard and that happens to be the side with the weaker clutches. I was always off at part throttle but the boat tracked well and when I would match rpms it drove funny so I just chalked it up to the tachs being off. At WOT I was seeing about 7600 and 7800 but it drove straight. Now I'm hoping to see 8100+ which I figure would be about 62-63 mph. That would be cool with me for a while.

Well the S200 hull drives weird at times for sure. Its real funny with speeds and different load conditions. I don't think the rpm difference is the tacs or the SC... I think it has something to do with the hull and the way the water flows. I know it sounds crazy but I know 4 guy's now including you who have the exact same issue. Have you heard of anyone else with the same rpm loss? I'm thinking of re pitching the prop on the one side to match the other sides rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed200 View Post
    You know that's a very good question. I'm not a 100% sure but I think it was the starboard and that happens to be the side with the weaker clutches. I was always off at part throttle but the boat tracked well and when I would match RPM's it drove funny so I just chalked it up to the tachs being off. At WOT I was seeing about 7600 and 7800 but it drove straight. Now I'm hoping to see 8100+ which I figure would be about 62-63 mph. That would be cool with me for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by somefun View Post
    I'm thinking of re pitching the prop on the one side to match the other sides rpm.

Well when I rpm match with the throttles then the boat doesn't drive straight but I don't know what would happen if you tweaked the props to match though. I don't personally know of anyone else that has an S200 other then you and the 4 or 5 other guys on the forums. I know Gregz reports the same wierd steering problems as we have and he thinks that it's hull related too.

rpm variance

I am @ 300 rpm down on the starboard engine as well . . . suspect hull and related water flow may be the cause. The stbd side of the boat, by design, is necessarily heavier and causes a list to the stbd side. Operator is always sitting there. Cockpit weight. Drive levers with pushrods to buckets. Weed grate actuators. Battery. Result is more weight to stbd side. The list would push the stbd intake deeper with less intake angle in the water and the port intake would be shallower with greater intake angle in the water. My untrained suspicion is that this may cause greater loading of the stbd impeller causing the lower rpms. No clue how to fix other than somefun's idea of subtly tweaking the pitch to compensate.

+1
    You guys running 300 R's down on the stbd engine should consider taking 2 mm pitch out of the trailing edge of the impeller to get the R's up. Reduced R's = reduced performance.

Paul, it was great meeting you and talking Vette's. Can't wait to see yours!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information