Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro 785 won't start

2000 Pro 785, 80 hours.

All right, I give up. My ski will not start. I did get it to start when jumping it off a car. When it did, it ran like a champ. When I shut it off and try to restart, it will not turn over.

Verified volts across battery and to starter relay in electrical box, above 12.
    Red wire coming out of relay going to starter reading varies, starting at 9 or so and dragging down to 6 while trying to start it. Reading done with multimeter.

I have put in a new battery, new starter relay and a new voltage regulator.

When you try to start it, it seems like it doesn't have enough power. As you hold down the start button the volts began to drop and the engine starts to barely turns over. At this point the voltage at the MFD drops to 6 or so and eventually the MFD starts to blink out. The starter seems to get very hot.

Let me clarify, if I get it started off a jump from a car, it will run fine. I took out it out on the lake for 15 minutes and it ran great, volts were good. It will just not start on its own.

I have spent 200 frosties so far for nothing. And dam did I want a frosty while sweating over this thing!

Previous owner said he had put in a new stator, about a year and a half ago now.

If it was the stator wouldn't it actually run crappy or wouldn't I see some problem while riding it?

Is it the starter? It does get very hot trying to start it and it seems like it isn't turning over the engine fast enough.

I checked for spark on the plugs, just pulled them out and grounded them to the block and did not see any spark, but I know it is getting spark when I jump it cause it will run fine when car jumped. It did take some caressing while car jumping it, little starter fluid and a lot of luck.

I am assuming the starter is bad after reading through the tech sections, I did not see a way to actually test the starter. It has to be something with the starting system since it will run when car jumped.

Is there any way to get to the starter that is easy? That sucker is way the hell tucked away under the pipes and manifold. Or am I going in the wrong direction with this?

+1
    Not trying to sound like an @ss, but first of all, don't jump it from a car, it can damage your MFD or other electrical items. And second, don't use starting fluid, it washes all the oil and fuel off of the cylinders (no lubrication)

I have seen some starters get worn and they will start to drag and not turn as intended, so that could be a possibility. As far as getting to the starter, I know I would just go ahead and pull the exhaust. Pulling the exhaust might be annoying, but I know I would swear alot less than trying to pull the starter with everything still in there!!

To check the stator, you'll need to get a good volt meter and do some ohm testing.

+1
    yep i would say starter also . i have some good used ones if you need one . it's easier to get to if you pull the pto pipe and manifold .

It's alright, you be an a$$. I know about jumping and I know about the MFD, it was a risk I was willing to take to see if it would start. Worst that can happen is I buy more crap to replace.

That aside, thanks for the input. I am also inclined to believe it may be the starter. I will probably take your advice and pull the exhaust to do it. It is probably faster in the long run anyway. Live near Detroit, Michigan? I'll pay someone to do it for me, just gotta let me watch so I can learn.

Redline, I have read about people cleaning out the starter and it working. Does this actually work? Or just buy a new one?

Also, I know I'm probably dum and missing it. But could you put the link to the test for the stator? I was reading all about it but I didn't see the actual tests you can do. I got an Ohm meter.

Thanks guys.

+1
    don't waste your time trying to clean it ,it's to much work to do all over again .

+1
    Yeah, I would just take a the blow and replace it. I'd be pissed if i took it all apart and then put it all back together to find it still doesnt work

+1
    overtons sells starters for 179 bucks if im correct.

+1
    Can you turn the motor buy hand??
    Does the impeller bearings spin free?

+1
    Not only what beer stated BUT I would try this last test to see if it a starter or bad wire. I've seen so much corrosion hidden under the sheath that the wire was literally holding with 2 or 3 strands.

Get a jumper box or a battery with cables (I like the little ones made for PWC and quads).
    Put the power line to the solenoid where the wire leads to the starter.
    Put the ground line to the starter case itself (the engine should work O.K. as well)
    Does the engine turns freely, if it does you know you have a cable/battery issue on the ground side.
    If the engine doesn't turn over, find a way to get the jumper power lead right on the starter bolt that the boat battery attach's to and see what happens.
    If it turns freely, you know you have a wire/battery issue on the positive side.
    If it still turns very slowly with direct power from the jumper, I'd remove it and test the starter outside the motor.
    Good luck, keep us posted, I for one am curious as hell.

Alright, I will give your tests a try ph. I actually have a pair of those little cables I bought the other day while working on this.

When you say make sure the motor spins freely beer, how do I test that? Like what am I spinning by hand to make sure it is spinning free? It runs fine when jumped, and I have pulled the plugs and hit the start button and the pistons go up and down no problem. Anyway, what do I do to make sure it is spinning freely?

And I just priced starters, 272! Ouch. Just seems like a lot. If it is the starter, I will definitely hit you up Lugs. Save one for me.

I will keep you guys posted!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information