+1

help with water routing of riva heads...im unsure what is best

I am just finishing up my ski...you guys have been great with all of your help. I have a few questions as far as the riva performance heads are concerned. i cannot figure out the best way to route water into the heads...and the riva instructions do not specify. I will be using the jetworks mod by the way.

thanks

Mike

+1
    Water is routed out of the heads not into.

Normaly #3 is routed out of the hull via a 1/2" thru hull fitting. #2 is run to the back of the down pipe much like the OEM routing and #1 is in the side fitting of the down pipe.

Some have found gains by routing #2 & #3 overboard and just using #1 to cool the exaust. You must plug the rear hose intake on the down pipe to achieve this.

Hope this helps.

+1
    The water actually comes in the the bottom of the block around the outside of the piston walls then to your heads, out of the head then down your exhaust. On my ski i attached the rear cylinder cooling line to the exhaust mainfold using the stock hose. The middle cylinder i attached tot he exhaust manifold using the stock hose. The front cylinder i put a thru hull fitting in and dumped it overboard.

+1
    Cool,

I have two more questions for you guys...

after inspecting the stock heads...they appear to have 2 small screws that are holding in zinc's to take the beating instead of the motor etc...I did not see any places for zincs on the new riva heads...I also have the ground connection that I cannot figure out what to do with that used to go to the head.

Lastly,

For those of you who have a power plenum or just open air filter did you use anything to keep it from getting wet? I am not sure if I should just try to fab up a deflector piece to re-route any water that would normally fall on top of the intake.

thanks

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    Cool,

I have two more questions for you guys...

after inspecting the stock heads...they appear to have 2 small screws that are holding in zinc's to take the beating instead of the motor etc...I did not see any places for zincs on the new riva heads...I also have the ground connection that I cannot figure out what to do with that used to go to the head. Unfortunately you cannot use the anodes in the aftermarket heads.

Lastly,

For those of you who have a power plenum or just open air filter did you use anything to keep it from getting wet? I am not sure if I should just try to fab up a deflector piece to re-route any water that would normally fall on top of the intake. I use a splash guard from Riva, but I dont think they have them anymore. Some use the outerwear (sock) that goes over the filter. Most put nothing on the filter.

thanks

Mike
    '

I have the riva rec head milled by jim for 150 psi and all 3 cylinders are exactly that i might add....I dump all 3 cylinders overboard out the back of the ski through pisser's and got water coming in from the pump strainer to cool the pipe...My boat gained 50rpm in back to back testing in missouri summer heat from doing this...I'm sure there will be some skeptics but if you decide to do it carl at island racing sell's pump strainer plates with 2 fitting holes one for the jetworks mod and one to go in to feed cooler lake water to the pipe...

Thread Information