Battery Test Question

What cranking amps should I test the Stock RXP battery at? Any info be great

-Thanks

Sorry to make my 1st post a reply to your question, but electrical is kind of my "thing" so here goes :

- 1st make sure that the battery is ( or was ) fully charged and is at normal ambient temp, ( 60 to 80 degrees is O.K. ).
    - 2nd, check the specific gravity of each battery cell with a hydrometer. ( the little thingy with the balls that float ). If any cell checks out or shows to be less than a 75% state of charge after being charged for an acceptable period of time, forget it, you're already heading for a new battery.
    - 3rd. A short duration load test using equipment that will show the battery's voltage during the test should be performed. 100 Amp load for 5-10 seconds will tell the tale. That value of current is assuming that you are testing a stock Yuasa wet cell battery.

Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

Hmm then I maybe need a new battery, because I left my battery not hooked up for a few days and my battery charged when hooked it up said it was at 70% charged. I did not have a hydromiter. I know i should. However i am sure the battery would not charge then if it was that low and running. Because I had an issue where I could not get it started after running around for a bit. Starter would just click nothing else. Hmm I guess haveing auto zone do a test at 300amp was bad for myt battery as well.

300 Amp. test ?

Yeah, ummmm.....gonna cause more problems for your battery at that kind of current draw.........
    We are talking about checking a 30 Ampre/hour Yuasa wet cell (stock) S.D. battery here, right ?
    Try this, charge the battery (removed from ski ) with whatever type of automotive charger you can get your hands on for a 24 hr. period.
    After charging, test specific gravity in each cell, and proceed from there. IF ( after charging ) 1 or maybe 2 cells are indicating 75% state of charge, the battery will be o.k. ( for a while ) to use. If any more than 2 cells ( or any less than ) 75% state after charging cycle, you're on you're way back to Autozone to find a new battery.

Good luck, and watch your a$$ playing with wet cell batteries, O.K ?

- The Nerve

Thread Information