Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Check fuel pick-up and Magnets.

I just skimmed thru this thread and didn't see anybody mention rusting float magnets. I have (4) GTXL pick-ups, (2) 98 and (2) 99. (1) 98 and (1) 99 have rusted float magnets with plating gone. All still had grey Tempo lines. All had violent deaths, but the 99's chewed up their crankcases.

The (2) 98's were owned by the same owner, who lived on a lake, but only one float rusted. You can see the amount of crud on the wrong side of the pick-up screen. Rust and flaked off plating from the magnet seems to have made it all the way to the filter in the carb. The magnets had a lot more loose rust/ iron that transferred to the clean magnet when they snapped together just before I took the picture. I cleaned up the good magnet.

If you have clean magnets keep them away from rust and iron filings, it is tough to get off. I found tape adhesive could get it a little at a time. The magnets pop out of the float easily and back in securely. The magnets need to be oriented in the same polarity on the float. Check the resisitance over the length of float travel. 89ohm empty, -10 ohm/ 1/8th tank, 0 full. If resistance jumps to 89ohm in mid float travel, switch orientation of a single magnet and check resistance again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rusty Float Magnets Magnets.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	343711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Filter.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	343712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carb filter.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	343713

Awww ha! Interesting. Replaced high number of units with white float... the 30 machines I have cleaned fuel systems never had first filter dirty tho.. having built and raced these machines for twenty years I have a different idea on fuel system contamination. This alcohol based fuel is obviously start of problem.. I think the alcohol is breaking down crud in bottom of tank ( and magnet) which has been there for years as I see in every tank.. turns into sludge and only gets trapped at internal carb filter. If the gray fuel lines are deteriorating why is blockage black tar? I just pull internal carb filters out. What other two stroke has three filtration points in fuel system? Imop

Hey guys, i know this thread is a couple years old but i changed my fuel lines last night and cleaned the carbs following everyones turtorial and thanks everyone for taking the time, i have a quick question after doing all this i tried to start my ski and the fuel doesnt get to the carbs how do i get the fuel to get to the carbs? Sorry for the newb question

Quote Originally Posted by massimogtx787 View Post
    Hey guys, i know this thread is a couple years old but i changed my fuel lines last night and cleaned the carbs following everyones turtorial and thanks everyone for taking the time, i have a quick question after doing all this i tried to start my ski and the fuel doesnt get to the carbs how do i get the fuel to get to the carbs? Sorry for the newb question
    Crank longer.

Ok thanks im getting a new battery because i broke the terminal on this one.

Thanks again! I poured some gas in the carbs and she started! time for a water test, hope it doesn't bog at 40mph again :$

I know this thread is old, but I have had spinal cord damage that has kept me from using my '98 GTX Limited for several years. I am just now attempting to replace the Tempo lines. I see 2 lines that run from the front of the ski to the engine compartment. One of the lines goes from the fuel filter at the front of the ski to the carb. It took about 5 minutes to replace since the screw clamps were already being used and it was easy to access. The other hose runs under the engine toward the aft end to only God knows where. Near where the previously mentioned hose connected to the carb there is another Tempo hose that goes under the carb to somewhere also unseen. I have seen 2 parts list diagrams on my ski. They are slightly different in where hoses go. Also, neither of them match my ski.

There is also a short Tempo line that uses the non-reusable clamps running from one carb to the other. Since the hose length is so short and the hose difficult to access for a non-mechanic, I figured that hose could remain in place.

Any suggestions on where the 2 previously mentioned hoses go and how to access them? Since this procedure has to be done by so many owners 1) is there a detailed photo or video procedure? and 2) Is there a class action lawsuit out there?

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasNightOwl View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I have had spinal cord damage that has kept me from using my '98 GTX Limited for several years. I am just now attempting to replace the Tempo lines. I see 2 lines that run from the front of the ski to the engine compartment. One of the lines goes from the fuel filter at the front of the ski to the carb. It took about 5 minutes to replace since the screw clamps were already being used and it was easy to access. The other hose runs under the engine toward the aft end to only God knows where. Near where the previously mentioned hose connected to the carb there is another Tempo hose that goes under the carb to somewhere also unseen. I have seen 2 parts list diagrams on my ski. They are slightly different in where hoses go. Also, neither of them match my ski.

There is also a short Tempo line that uses the non-reusable clamps running from one carb to the other. Since the hose length is so short and the hose difficult to access for a non-mechanic, I figured that hose could remain in place.

Any suggestions on where the 2 previously mentioned hoses go and how to access them? Since this procedure has to be done by so many owners 1) is there a detailed photo or video procedure? and 2) Is there a class action lawsuit out there?

Thanks for any help.
    I have very similar questions regarding access to the fuel line connections.

I have a '99 XP Limited that I purchased new in '99. It probably has less than 50 hours. I believe last time it was run was 2010....but, it was put away well (lubed, fuel ran out / removed, stored inside).

Since last using it, I've read enough to know the gray lines need to go. Last weekend, I started replacing them.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've read this thread thru (as well as the shop manual) and it's not clear...could anyone offer advice for the following questions?

1) To replace only the fuel lines, do I need to remove anything else (pipe, for example?)

2) To clean carb filters, does anything else have to be removed for access?

Thanks

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information