Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar

What is this white stuff?

Hey, I'm changing my plugs out. What is that white smeg that's around the coils when you pull them out of the cylinder head? I assume it's some sort of lube to help seal the coil into the head. Also, I have a slight missfire (hence, I'm changing the plugs), but one thing I noticed is that there is some type of rust colored corrosion in the coil right inside the sparkplug boot area. I wonder if that is causing my miss....anyway, I cleaned it all up with Q-tips and WD-40. What should I replace the white smeg with when I put the coils back on?

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    Hey, I'm changing my plugs out. What is that white smeg that's around the coils when you pull them out of the cylinder head? I assume it's some sort of lube to help seal the coil into the head. Also, I have a slight missfire (hence, I'm changing the plugs), but one thing I noticed is that there is some type of rust colored corrosion in the coil right inside the sparkplug boot area. I wonder if that is causing my miss....anyway, I cleaned it all up with Q-tips and WD-40. What should I replace the white smeg with when I put the coils back on?
    It's di electric greese i would clean the corrosion off and put a healthy amount of this in that area and in all ure coils this is also whats in all the electrical connections. It can be found in any auto parts store.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    When the tech was assembling your ski the thought of a 4-tec engine got him all excited.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    When the tech was assembling your ski the thought of a 4-tec engine got him all excited.
    That's kinda' what I was thinking. I was looking in the shop manual and there is a mention in a differnt section of "Kluber Isoflex grease". I wonder if that is self made or not.....

Either way, I'll head to autozone and get some dielectric grease, or I'll make some myself

I think the original goo from the factory is MolyKote or DOW 111.
    it is a multi property lubricant and sealant and chemical barrier coating used to prevent rubber components from sticking to metal and resist weathering and water washout. like in the rubber seals over the spark plug coils. also a dielectric compound to prevent spark scatter and static energy release should coil emit outside of casing, etc etc etc...PR...

I use dielectric grease inside the coil on the plug and I use 'plumber's grease' on the outside of the coils to keep them soft and keep them from sticking.

Thread Information