+1

Sound like fuel lines to you?

Took the ski out for the second time today. I had a waterfront campsite, a full tank of gas and 14,000 acres of lake to play in. At the end of the day I was going to take one last ride and the ski wouldn't start. I still haven't checked the fuse to the MFD so I assumed I was out of gas. I added 5 gallons and after 4-5 attemps it finally cranks. I start to ride off and have no power, maybe 10-15 mph so I immediately go to the ramps and load up and come home.

When I get home I remove line from tank to shut of valve. I blow into it and after more pressure than I think I should have needed to apply I hear bubbles in tank. I start it up and all is good. Shut it off and wouldn't start back. I pull the W/S and find a few small black chunks of something inside of the mesh filter. Clean it out, starts, shut down, and then won't start. I then pour small amount of gas into carbs, it fires up and I call it a day.

So, do I need to do what I read about so many times on GH and replace lines? I going to tomorrow but could there be another cause of my problem?
    Last edited by Tony; 06-02-2007 at 10:02 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Maybe the fuel selector valve?

+1
    Tony, I hate to sound like a broken record but I'd replace all the lines, selector switch and pump if it hasn't been done.
    Remember to replace the pulse lines as well.
    Check for debris in the tank and make sure the lines at the sender unit are good as well (if applicable).

+1
    Well, it looks like it was the fuel selector or should I say the knob. The fuel selector felt "spongy", it never had a positive stop at the "on" or "off" positions. The pointer would go past the positions if you turned it. I spun it 360 degrees and it came off in my hand. I grabbed a pair of pliers and turned the shaft to the on position and the shaft came to a stop. I fired it up 6-7 times and it seems to be fine now.

I'm replaceing the lines tomorrow, will regular automotive fuel line work or should I get something else?

I'd just like to say thanks one more time, you guys are a newbies dream come true!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Well, it looks like it was the fuel selector or should I say the knob. The fuel selector felt "spongy", it never had a positive stop at the "on" or "off" positions. The pointer would go past the positions if you turned it. I spun it 360 degrees and it came off in my hand. I grabbed a pair of pliers and turned the shaft to the on position and the shaft came to a stop. I fired it up 6-7 times and it seems to be fine now.

I'm replaceing the lines tomorrow, will regular automotive fuel line work or should I get something else?

I'd just like to say thanks one more time, you guys are a newbies dream come true!
    Regular fuel line is fine, but alot of us like transparent hose, just to see fuel flowing. or not. Also, about 1/2" near the carbs, there's a restrictor in the return line that needs to be reinstalled. Also, get a new fuel valve.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Regular fuel line is fine, but alot of us like transparent hose, just to see fuel flowing. or not. Also, about 1/2" near the carbs, there's a restrictor in the return line that needs to be reinstalled. Also, get a new fuel valve.
    I've read about the clear lines and I would like to use them. Where can I get them and how much do they cost? Same goes for the selector...where and how much? Does the restrictor need to be replaced as well? I've also noticed no inline filter other than the water seperator, should I install one. What about a filter on the oil line, that is until I get a chance to remove the oil injection in favor of premix.

You could always add a post in the classified here and see if someone had some.

I just got 20 feet of clear blue from this seller on ebay for $20.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fuellinedude/

You could send him a message and see if he has anymore. I dont see anymore in his for sale list but I had contacted him prior to buying it through ebay and he was willing to do it out right.

+1
    Jay and Tony have the line and selector switch at Atlantic Powersports. Be sure to ask for your Green Hulk discount.
    http://atlanticpowersports.com/

+1
    What he said ^^^^ And no need to replace, but merely re-install the restrictor. I believe there is a oil filter, it couldn't hurt to buy a new one. And you prob. should have a fuel filter installed.

Thread Information