Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 or 91 octane

+1

87 or 91 octane

I ride with 8 other guys all with RXP's or RXT's. We are all stock. Some run nothing but 87 octane while I always run 91. We are dead even at wot.
    Will running 87 hurt the motor? I see no big difference in performance.

Thank you

+1
    Yes. 87 will do damadge eventually. First at valves,,worst case scenario is a hole burnt through piston. The knock sensor is retarding their timing just a bit. With all ski`s being equal (which they are not) the 93 will make more high end power.

Why in the hell would anyone run 87 octane? No offense but that is such a retarted move as ive evr seen one. U r riding A high performance ski WITH a SC, 87 octane should never even come close to that ski, I run atleast 91octane nothing less EVER. I would assume 87 could cause severe detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by 06viperrxp View Post
    Why in the hell would anyone run 87 octane? No offense but that is such a retarted move as ive evr seen one. U r riding A high performance ski WITH a SC, 87 octane should never even come close to that ski, I run atleast 91octane nothing less EVER. I would assume 87 could cause severe detonation.
    Hey, sometimes you cannot find 91-93. I ride on a lake all summer and the marina guy only has regular 87. That's why someone would run 87....

93 Sunoco here!...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Hey, sometimes you cannot find 91-93. I ride on a lake all summer and the marina guy only has regular 87. That's why someone would run 87....
    Understandable but not an excuse, I would have a couple jerry cans full of 91+ and when I ran out I would drive into town and refuel. I mean lets say u ran 87 and all of sudden engine failure, not saying it would happen just a scenario, who's fault is it? yours or BRP's inferior product. I would assume anyone using 87 would take no responsibility for not having some common sense.

Banned User
    You will be kicking your self right in the ass when you have to have motor work done.

if u cant find 91+ add a little octain boost

You can use 87 octane on a stock ski, it says so in the owners manual......

Your timing will be retarded, and you will not get the most out of your engine, but you sure can use it.

Personally, I use 91, but there have been plenty of times where I cannot get it and run the lower octane levels with zero issues.

I know I read that not to use Shell premium gasoline when upgrading the Supercharger! It was in the instructions on an 06 Rotax Racing kit!

Driveumhard: I haven't found anything above 89 on the Mississippi, so I use 104 Octane Boost if I have to fill up, but I never fill up on river gas unless I absolutely have to. Danny, Chuck, Tom and I put 20 bucks in at Palooza just to get home and that only gave us 4 bars!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information