Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'02 Virage i - Runs Bad When Cold

Hi All,

Great forum here. I have a Virage i 800 with a whopping 40 hours on it. I recently replaced the TPS which fixed the "no acceleration" issue that so many have had.

Now I have a helluva time getting this thing to go when cold. At first it barely starts and certainly won't idle. But after cranking and feathering the throttle it slowly starts to come to life..missing and stumbling and dying. Then after awhile of this I can finally get it to get up on plane where it will run better and better with the occasional miss. Then finally she'll run wide open all day long...like there never was a problem.

If i shut her down and restart within say...an hour all is well. But if I leave it for more than a couple hours...the whole process starts over. I repeated this process 3 times this weekend...its the same every time.

Battery is good, plugs are dry and tan, fuel is good, oil is amsoil,...any ideas?

TIA,
    Shawn Chaney
    Marblehead, Ohio

+1
    Shawn, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    You replaced the TPS but did you have it adjusted it to see close to 100% at a Polaris dealer?
    If you don't have access, take as much slack out of the throttle cable as possible and let us know if that helps any?
    I'm assuming it was easy starting before the TPS replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    If you don't have access, take as much slack out of the throttle cable as possible and let us know if that helps any?
    I'm assuming it was easy starting before the TPS replacement?
    The throttle cable is nice and tight - I'm confident that the TPS is installed correctly and correlating correctly.

Its been awhile since the boat was running correctly...I'm not sure that the installation of the TPS has anything to do with the problem I'm having now.

I'm having the exact same symptoms you described with my new(to me) SLX780. The problem is identical except that it takes a little longer to reoccur. Maybe around 8hrs to a day. I have to start it with carb cleaner after it sits up for that amount of time. I also can hear a miss at idle. I know it's a different ski but I'm just checkin in to see if you find a solution. Im going to try and tune the carbs this weekend and if that don't work than maybe order a kit and rebuild them.

Thanks

+1
    Try this .On your connector to the tps ,use some pointy pliers and gently crimp the female connectors ever so slightly .These things will do what you say when the contact is poor .It picks signal then loses it etc .May alos want to check air temp sensor ,It is between the two Intakes that look like carbies .It is a little black button .If it is damaged you will need to change it .Check the reading on it .Should be around 990 Ohms -1110 Ohms .Let us know

Bernie

Banned User
    Hey Bernie,
    When my company sends me to Australia, can I ride your rentals?

Never mind, I believe the refinery is in NSW.
    Last edited by wetherby; 06-07-2007 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Yes you can .But it will be on ST 12F kawa 's or Vx Yammies

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Try this .On your connector to the tps ,use some pointy pliers and gently crimp the female connectors ever so slightly .These things will do what you say when the contact is poor .It picks signal then loses it etc .May alos want to check air temp sensor ,It is between the two Intakes that look like carbies .It is a little black button .If it is damaged you will need to change it .Check the reading on it .Should be around 990 Ohms -1110 Ohms .Let us know

Bernie
    Sounds good I'll give it a try. FWIW, I was thinking temp sensor but wasn't sure where to look. This boat has been flooded twice (flush plug not installed) & I think I'm starting to face the effects of it.

+1
    There are 5 Bus bars enclosed on the loom .Remove the caps and check for corrosion ,Some are earths and there a 2 power busbars .Use some dilectric grease to seal them up after you have checksd them

Cheers
    Bernie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loom bus bars.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	466.5 KB 
ID:	27434  

How to check TPS?

I have the exact same problem on Virage 800 di! Mine eventually starts but throttle has to be held wide open. I am wondering if TPS could be bad... how do you check it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information