94 750 SL fuel pump?

Was out running the ski today. I got out there about 30 minutes ahead of anyone so I went out and was haveing some fun.

After the wife and kids showed up I was out playing and it started to die on me. It would run and then just die. After a minute or two it would start and I could run but then it would do the same thing. I finally got to shore and was looking at it. I started by looking at fuel lines and etc. All lines seemed ok and when blown through. The filter seemed to be a little restricted so it got replaced with a brand new one. I dumped out the fuel from the fuel water seperator and replaced it with fresh fuel. When empty I tried to turn it over and it would fill up after I primed the carbs and then it would run for a couple minutes then die again.

This last week I had already ordered some new fuel line and a mikuni fuel pump just to replace due to the age of the ski(94).

So in the end I cam to the conclusion it was fuel pump because when primed it would run good for a few untill Im guessing it run out of fuel again.

Does this sound like a resonable solution or is there something else I can look at.

Thanks in advance,
    Ron

+1
    Check the fuel tank venting system.

Thanks for the reply beerdart. Im looking in my Clymer shop manual to see what your talking baout and Im looking at the fuel tank diagram and dont see anything about the venting system.

Can you explain more or know of a better diagram then what Im looking at.

Time to start looking through tech section some more.

+1
    Item #10,13.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not sure if that is a 94 750 set up. My 94 650 has a seperate fuel sender and hoses. (old style float) My vent, looks like a PVC valve from a car. It hangs from the vent hose, just like the diagram. Same difference if you will.

+1
    The fuel valves are famous for that exact scenario, try by-passing it for a quick test or just replace it when you change the pump and lines??

+1
    Oh, another test. When it's dyeing, shut it off and loosen the fuel cap. Be sure no water enters, scew the cap back on and if it starts and runs easily start looking for tank vent issues as BD has suggested.
    Careful not to burn it down if it's going lean.

Thnaks for the replies. I have put it up for the night. I keeo it at a friends house so it can stay in a garage. I had been looking around for the pic BD had given me and didnt notice anything that looked like that.

I had already ordered a triple outlet pump and some new hose to replace it due to the age of the ski just for safety. haha and what do you know when I go out right after I had ordered the parts.

But this is good for learning for a first time owner. Something I also found while looking around was my trim motor had a cut wire. Respliced it but nothing happened. I have also read somewhere that the MFD could effect the operation of the trim due to MFD being bad. Im waiting on another MFD I got off ebay so hopefully all will work right after pump and MFD come in. Im also going to take the valve off and give it a try. I just so happen to have a spare here.

On a side note does anyone know of a good PWC mechanic. I need to get seals and etc replace back in the empeller area, and would like to have someone that knows alot do it the first time around. Im getting tired of taking on water but I got it under controll with a bilge I added

Thanks for any and all help

Ron

Thread Information