non RIVA intercooler???

if you want to do up an intercooler as a mod, do you have to go with the riva or rotax racing intercoolers? is it possible to go with an intercooler from another aplication, say maybe a vehicle aplication? just wondering because i've got all kinds of free time (mental free time) and was wondring if there's something special about the riva and then rotax intercoolers or if one intercooler is just as good as another... does anyone know the diameter of the pipes that are going into and comming out of the intercooler? just curious guys... no, i don't have my boat yet but i'm getting one real soon but i'm already kicking around mods for it though alright time to go hit the pool... late

-dewsy

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i like the thinking... only other IC people have experimented with are a SPEARCO intercooler. Rapidacceleration is gonna install a Precision Turbo intercooler in his ski.

Rotax and Riva are the only two that retail an IC advertised and tested SPECIFIC to the 4-tecs...

so to answer your question, of course there are other options, but no one really has enough resources, money, and test time to play with other intercoolers so see if they can find cheaper alternatives that are AS effective or better.

there are far cheaper water-air intercoolers in the auto-world that would work in our skis, just don't know how WELL they would work comapred to the rotax or riva intercoolers

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    there are many other water to air intercoolers out there, some that are probbly better or more effeicant but the problem is fitting them in there and fabbing up piping and mounting brackets etc.
    in my aplication there wasn't really a "oem replacement" or unit for my ski so i had to use the biggest one i could fit in there and fab all the tubing and brackets myself. (i would have rather bought a bolt in if possible)
    by the time your done- you will have more into your custom intercooler install then if you just bought a complete bolt in kit. plus all the time trying to doo it yourself. (cutting, welding, finding aluminim u bend)
    there may be a few used units for sale if your looking to save money.

+1
    I think shibby tried finding the Vortech intercooler that Riva uses and it was priced at something like $900+ Add the plumbing, blockoff and mount bracket and the Riva or Rotax Racing kit isn't such a bad deal.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    yep.... green hulk is right... those were my findings. I was able to pin point the model numbers, all the applications the Vortech intercooler came from, and the prices thru retail centers and directly through Vortech inc.

the prices i got for JUST the intercooler made riva and rotax look like discount PWC performance Walmart centers

i've even investigated having a local custom make intercoolers for our ski.... by the time i added the block off plate, the plumbing, couplings, offshore bracket... ur savings were MAYBE 100 bucks... and for what? to buy an unproven product.

i'm sure there MIGHT be something bigger and better out there for us, but the cost of this endeavor is just not appealing

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I'd like to see someone try one of those PWR barrel style air to water ICs.

can someone please explain an air to water intercooler? i'm unfamiliar with it, like i said though for about the next 3 months i'm going to be asking some pretty dumb questions...

how do these intercoolers actually cool the air? i was kicking around an idea about tapping the pump just like in the older boats that had the pump powering and pressurizing the cooling system with a hose comming in the boat... why couldn't we tap the pump, have a hose run through through the transom, and run into a fitted intercooler? just like how the pipes are jacketed and cooled, well why couldn't we jacket an intercooler to keep it even cooler and then have it dump out the side... who knows but i would like some feedback on this idea. how cool does the intercooler keep the air and what does the intercooler look like "inside" is it just a chamber or does the air go through a certain path? thanks guys!

-dewsy

+1
    The pump is already tapped.

Water flows from the pump to the intercooler. The water flowing out of the intercooler goes to the exhaust to cool that. The water is then expelled thru the exhaust.

The intercooler has a core that the water flows thru. The air flows around the core cooling it.

so they stole my idea :P damnation... ok cool so we know there is water cooling the intercooler, i'm starting to get a better visual/idea of how this part of the boat works... so tell me then, does where the water enters the exhaust matter or is it different than a twostroke? is it like a stinger? also how much of an affect does the removal of the resonator have? and would it be recommended/legal for stock class racing?

-dewsy

+1

I/C

Trying to jacket an ic has been tried, fabbing one takes alot of time for maybe one percent more surface area. I'll have one to sell real soon, With hardware to mount it solidly jawz

Thread Information