00 GP800 Carb Problem?

I am having problems with my carbs wanting to stick. IT happens after i have been riding and then the ski sits for a few minutes. The throttle wants to stick. If you take it easy and don't give it to much throttle when you take off it will free up in a few minutes of slow riding. I have cleaned the carbs and linkage. The cable is fine and loose when this happens. If I reach down to the carbs, the linkage is very stiff and not free feeling. I searched a few other post and it sounds like it could be in the throttle shafts. Will a Riva throttle shaft rebuild kit fix the problem or is it something else?

Thanks,
    Chris

+1
    Did you align the carbs when you put them back on the carb plate? also are all the shafts and linkage greased well?

I only cleaned the outside of the carbs. I had the throttle sticking problem last year so I was looking for the source of that. I cleaned all of the linkage and lubricated. The carbs were never removed from the carb plate. Everything works fine when it is cool or when it is running. After it has run and sits for a few minutes the throttle sticks. I have searched some other threads and it sounds like when the motor is shut off the heat soaks into the carbs and tightens up the shaft bushings. I am looking to buy the throttle shaft rebuild kits from Riva. I have read that replacing them can be difficult. Any thoughts?

+1
    I am in the process of cleaning up a set I will study them and get back to you. I know removing the throttle plates is a PITA takes out the shaft every time.

Once concern I have is how easy will it be to replace the bushings.

Thanks.

ahh i have run into this many times!only happens when the motor is hot and you shut it off for a few min.
    yamaha tells me that it is varnish on the throttle shafts and to run their product ring free or replace the carbs$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    i remove the carbs grind the knerled butterfly screws and remove the butterflys
    then remove the shafts and clean them good as well as the carb bodys
    remove the shaft seals and replace them they are what caused the shafts to stick!
    if you remove them all togather you will eliminate the prob. but they kinda need to be there
    then reassm the carb butterflys with new screws+loctite and after they are in smash the ends so the cant come out (like the oem ones were)
    i use blaster atv reed valve screws

Great. Thanks for the fixing proceedure. I will be ordering the parts today. I was going to order the throttle shaft rebuild kits from Riva and replace everything but i like you proceedure and it should be a little cheaper. I will let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by vomitspot View Post
    ahh i have run into this many times!only happens when the motor is hot and you shut it off for a few min.
    yamaha tells me that it is varnish on the throttle shafts and to run their product ring free or replace the carbs$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    i remove the carbs grind the knerled butterfly screws and remove the butterflys
    then remove the shafts and clean them good as well as the carb bodys
    remove the shaft seals and replace them they are what caused the shafts to stick!
    if you remove them all togather you will eliminate the prob. but they kinda need to be there
    then reassm the carb butterflys with new screws+loctite and after they are in smash the ends so the cant come out (like the oem ones were)
    i use blaster atv reed valve screws
    Where did you get the new seals? I just checked the online parts microfiche and they are not listed.

Thread Information