Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard Starts

Hard Starts

I'm having a hard time getting my ski started so I've come up with 2 thoughts and I need to know if either will cause any damage ...

1. - spray some ether (sp) into the cards to prime it

2 - start it on the trailer (starts out of the water fairly well), then dump it in the lake.

Thoughts ??

Thanks

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    Forget the starting fluid. Bad idea. Your carbs have accelerator pumps. Squeeze the throttle a few times while trying to start it and it will squirt gas to prime. You can also add a primer kit to the carbs. It's always a good idea to fire up the skis before putting them in the water. It is easier to start initially without the load of the water and rider on it. Once in the water, they usually fire up alot easier because of this.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about firing it up and backing it in while running (haven't figured out how I'll get it off the trailer with the natural forward motion of the jet working aginst me .....).

I'm aware that I have very limited time that I can run it without water to cool.

You shouldn't have to do that. Have you checked the compression? Maybe the engine is tired? Maybe the carbs need rebuilding? Is the choke on it? Have you checked the fuel/water seperator? The red ring should be on thebottom of the bowl. If it is floating, it means you have water in your fuel.

Compression is 130/130/125

I just had the carbs cleaned and sync'd, fuel system is water free. I thinki the timing may be a bit off, I'm wondering if that could be my problem, I was certain it was carb related but now I know that isn't the case.

Yes timing would do it. Have you owned it long? Maybe you just need to find the sweet spot for it to fire if it is fairly new to you? The throttle pumping usually works on the Keihin carbed domestics because of the accelerator pumps. Even those take a few seconds of cranking to start to prime.

Good guess, it's very new to me. I've only had it for about a month, had it out 2 or 3 times then took it in for "service" which I hoped would solve my problem (but didn't)....

Runs like a bat out of hell once you gett'er warm ...

By "sweet spot" are you talking choke, or throttle position/action ?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Could cold water temps have something to do with it? I see he's in Canada, water is still a bit cold EH? Love that avatar Shawn.

Yes, they all have a sweet spot. Think of it like a woman. Once you find the sweet spot she is ready to roar every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information