Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About to buy a modded RXP... help

Hey guys I am new to the forum. I am about to purchase an RXP Sea Doo that has had some modifications installed by the previous owner. All parts were installed by an authorized Sea Doo mechanic.

Rotax Racing external intercooler, blower fed sealed air intake and mandrel bent exhaust and waterbox modifications. Solas Concord 14/19 repitched stainless impeller, Riva Racing intake grate, Riva Racing Pro Series sponsons and OPAS block-off kit, Perry Performance Group pressurized intake unit, irridium plugs, Riva Racing 2.0 degree pump wedge, and custom tuned pump nozzle

My question is, will these upgrades make the RXP less reliable? I dont want to have this thing breaking down on me!

Thank you very much!

-Tony

+1
    No, you should be fine reliability wise. The only part that you may want to keep an eye on is the intercoler. Some of them have been known to leak internally. But the ones I have heard of leaking are from Riva. I have not heard anything bad about the RR intercooler.

Thank you for the prompt response. Also, I have been reading up about the bearings inside the supercharger. Will I need to change those?

+1
    Change out the supercharger clutch washers. If it has not been done yet get the metal washers. If you dont youll be sorry.

So do i need to send in the entire supercharger or just order the washers and install them myself. Is this an intermidiate install difficulty or hard?

+1
    I just did mine and I would rate it an intermidate job. If your not comfortable doing it jerry at 4tecperformance.com will do it for you. You just send him the supercharger.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    I've got to jump in and say that it would be misleading, at best, to say that a modified forced induction motor is going to be as reliable as a stock untouched motor. marine, auto, whatever....forced induction is less reliable than NA, and modified even less so. To what degree, is the issue. As far as bearings go, you would need to tell us how many hours are on the SC'er. However, being modified, I would assume, regardless of what I was told, that it was ridden hard. The clutch washers are a no brainer and I won't even bother saying they need to go. To change to ceramic bearings would be in your best intrest too. Buying anything modified, especially a sc'ed motor, leaves you with many more points of failure.d

that being said, I feel you will be more than pleased with your purchase and it should thrill you for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    I've got to jump in and say that it would be misleading, at best, to say that a modified forced induction motor is going to be as reliable as a stock untouched motor. marine, auto, whatever....forced induction is less reliable than NA, and modified even less so. To what degree, is the issue. As far as bearings go, you would need to tell us how many hours are on the SC'er. However, being modified, I would assume, regardless of what I was told, that it was ridden hard. The clutch washers are a no brainer and I won't even bother saying they need to go. To change to ceramic bearings would be in your best intrest too. Buying anything modified, especially a sc'ed motor, leaves you with many more points of failure.d

that being said, I feel you will be more than pleased with your purchase and it should thrill you for years to come!
    I've read alot of stuff on here by Sean, and it always makes perfect sense. My only concern is, who really knows if the washers have gone south and then repaired the crappy way by a dealer or individual. I bought new for this reason only, but I know this is not always an option. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the input guys. There are 110 hours on the RXP. I called the maintenince center where it has been serviced and they said that all looks good. I then mentioned replacing the washers to the service guy and he said that you dont need to replace them as long as you use a certain type of oil that Sea Doo sells. What do you guys think?

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Replace the washers......In all honesty, thats what we think.

But, then again, if I were your service shop I would want you to keep them too.

It's not a conspiracy or anything. As a matter of fact it's probably more a testament to the fact they don't break as much as you think. However, being a member of this forum, and knowing what we know. It's like knowing the kid down the street eggs cars when people drive by. In all reality, he doesn't hit nearly as many as he misses, but if you know he's there and chose to drive by anyhow, you kick yourself in the ass.

90 bucks, DIY, 140 to have Jerry do it.....no brainer for me.

It's like accepting the 5 bucks for insurance on your $200 rental tux for you brothers wedding....just do it.

Change them bad boys out and you don't even have to wonder, that in it's self is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information