Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL650...what to do with it?

Okay, well Friday I'm buying a '92 SL650 from a board member here. The ski has low compression in all cylinders and I'm hoping that it only needs to be honed and to have new rings installed. I'm getting the triple outlet fuel pump with it also. What would ya'll do with it? Fix the 650, upgrade to 750, or go ahead and go for the 780? I really want to go the 780 route, but I'm not EXACTLY sure what all is needed. Here's what I think is needed, please correct me if I'm wrong:
    780 cylinders
    domes
    pistons
    reeds
    exhaust manifold
    Intake
    carbs

Any other tricks to get more out of this thing without breaking the bank? I already want the extended pump, but what years and models do they come from? Thanks for the help.
    Louis

IF all it needs is a hone job and a set of rings, I would run it while I collected parts for upgrading. Then when it came time to upgrade to a bigger engine, you have a running 650 to sell for $$$.

That's a big "IF"

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    IF all it needs is a hone job and a set of rings, I would run it while I collected parts for upgrading. Then when it came time to upgrade to a bigger engine, you have a running 650 to sell for $$$.

That's a big "IF"
    True. I never even thought of that. However, I was assuming that the 650 bottom end could be used with the 780 top end. Right?

Any more opinions or suggestions?

The 92 has a plethora of potential upgrades! start with the rebuild as a 650 or 750 but you need to dump the propulsion pump! they improved it 10 fold in the next 2 years!! the good thing is it is a direct bolt in upgrade. Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    The 92 has a plethora of potential upgrades! start with the rebuild as a 650 or 750 but you need to dump the propulsion pump! they improved it 10 fold in the next 2 years!! the good thing is it is a direct bolt in upgrade. Z
    What skis have the good pumps? Also, was I right about the 780 upgrade?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by louisk View Post
    Okay, well Friday I'm buying a '92 SL650 from a board member here. The ski has low compression in all cylinders and I'm hoping that it only needs to be honed and to have new rings installed. I'm getting the triple outlet fuel pump with it also. What would ya'll do with it? Fix the 650, upgrade to 750, or go ahead and go for the 780? I really want to go the 780 route, but I'm not EXACTLY sure what all is needed. Here's what I think is needed, please correct me if I'm wrong:
    780 cylinders
    domes
    pistons
    reeds
    exhaust manifold
    Intake
    carbs

Any other tricks to get more out of this thing without breaking the bank? I already want the extended pump, but what years and models do they come from? Thanks for the help.
    Louis
    780 cases are slightly different (better), but the 650 cases will work. Cyls, domes, pistons, and exh manifold yes. Carbs just rejet, get a triple outlet fuel pump (pentagon was stock) and a 780 CDI. Long pumps came on most skis 96 and after. Make sure to get the longer ride plate and drive shaft. An extension can be made for the steering cable.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    780 cases are slightly different (better), but the 650 cases will work. Cyls, domes, pistons, and exh manifold yes. Carbs just rejet, get a triple outlet fuel pump (pentagon was stock) and a 780 CDI. Long pumps came on most skis 96 and after. Make sure to get the longer ride plate and drive shaft. An extension can be made for the steering cable.

Awesome! That's exactly what I thought. I knew that there was supposed to be a difference in the 650 and 780 cases, but can I make the same power with the 650 cases? I thought that I heard that the difference was in the port work. Anyways, thanks for the help and does anyone have any more good suggestions?

Here is my take on the 780 if it's not your only ski go for it ! it is a cool project but the 780 parts are way harder to source and more $ the 750 is easier and requires less parts and is cheaper not to mention parts availability! as far as the jet pump you have a two year production model after that they went to a modular more efficient unit that shares parts with all the years from 94 up and whether u go the extended or regular you will notice a difference also the regular unit can be upgraded to the extended at a later date with just a few parts! Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Here is my take on the 780 if it's not your only ski go for it ! it is a cool project but the 780 parts are way harder to source and more $ the 750 is easier and requires less parts and is cheaper not to mention parts availability! as far as the jet pump you have a two year production model after that they went to a modular more efficient unit that shares parts with all the years from 94 up and whether u go the extended or regular you will notice a difference also the regular unit can be upgraded to the extended at a later date with just a few parts! Z

Okay, so you're saying that my pump can be upgraded with a few parts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information