Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out

First time out

Well, tomorrow morning around 8am I am heading out for the 30 minute drive to the ramp.

Since this is my first time putting in, and i am doing it all by my onsies, does anyone have any techniques they use when launching by themselves?

Only ask cause i dont wanna make an idiot of myself. I know noone will be around, but i want it to go as smoothly as possible.

Only going to get one tank through it, but better than nothing at all.

+1
    I disconnect the ski and then back it in the water enough that the ski stays on the trailer, but just starts to float on the back end. Then i get out of my truck, sit on the ski and start it in reverse. Gently apply throttle and back off and tie the ski up. Then go pull my truck out and park it.

Have fun!

+1
    Carefull out there. There will be no one around if you get in trouble and the water is probably cold enough to kill in a short amount of time.

1. make shure the fuel sellector is set to ON. I've seen people kill a battery trying to restart a ski w/no fuel.

2. let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back.

3. bring a cell phone and have local rescue #s programed (not just pizza delivery).

Is this your first ski? -if yes, wait till there are others to ride with.

SHE IS FINALLY GETTING WET trust me you will not look like an idiot no matter what you do.
    I think you will actually be enveyed by alot of by standards.

oh yah don't forget to screw inn your drain plugs
    and never leave your keys or dess key unatended at any time.

have fun

another thing i think BRP gives you a video cassett to watch it covers pretty much all the basics

fill her up with the recommended fuel for us canadians it is called super gas, 91 octane

and it is good to go for the first time with someone with experiance for the first time lots of times you can meet these people at the ramp.

you always need 3 feet of water when engine is running and at least 5 feet before going WOT from a stand point.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    I disconnect the ski and then back it in the water enough that the ski stays on the trailer, but just starts to float on the back end. Then i get out of my truck, sit on the ski and start it in reverse. Gently apply throttle and back off and tie the ski up. Then go pull my truck out and park it.

Have fun!
    jerry i dont want to contredict you but there is always a BUT after saying i don't petee i don't recoment disconnecting your ski while backing up your trailer in the ramp unstrap your back straps only and leave your front winch strap still on the attached.
    once your ski is in the water then disconnect your front strap and proceed as per jerrys instructions.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I usually back my ski down the ramp like Jerry said until the back is floating and then unhook the front. Then i climb out on the trailer, push the ski off, spin it around so that the back is facing the trailer, push off, jump on the ski and ride it over to the beach next to the ramp. The reason i do this is because the ramp i usually use has a lot of sand and gravel on it. If you ever forget the plugs right off the bat, don't panic and head back to the trailer, just shut the ski off and screw them in. There are check valves in them that usually keep a lot of water out. Then just ride it and your bailers should remove the rest. Have fun and get used to riding an awesome ski.

Quote Originally Posted by daverxp4
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk

Have fun!
    jerry i dont want to contredict you but there is always a BUT after saying i don't petee i don't recoment disconnecting your ski while backing up your trailer in the ramp unstrap your back straps only and leave your front winch strap still on the attached.
    once your ski is in the water then disconnect your front strap and proceed as per jerrys instructions.
    Too paranoid to disco the front strap.

I watched the video, just wanted to see if anyone does anything particular that they have found makes it easier during the process. Sorta like, live and learn your own techniques.

preety much my first time out was in 1998 baught my first ski watched the video read the manuall the dealer told me all you have to do is put it in the water and i did just that in the month middle of april (COLD WEATHER) ski started went for a 20 sec drive and ski stalled there was nobody on the water exept 1 small fishing boat and my parents and brothers at the ramp looking well i got towed to the ramp frozen and found out that the ski had only oil in the gas tank and no fuel sure was embarresed

we learn from our mistakes

Start the ski up for a second before you put it in the water. Shut it down right away. Since this if your first time and the water is so cold you want to make sure it will start before you get it in the water.

I keep a rope attached to the ring by the handle bars, then you can tie up at the dock on go get your truck parked. That way you can stay as dry as possible for a while.

I was out today for about 3 hours. It was in the upper 60's but the water was warm. I had a full wetsuit on.

(ps. wear some gloves)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information